ATX Community

Networking ATX

catax

I have the software networked for 2007 only. I had numerous problems networking the 2006 version last year so it is not set up. The 2007 works fine for a return that has already been rolled over on the main system and all the forms were available when it was originally rolled over. But if any of the forms were not available then I get an error message that th return was not rolled over and the data was deleted and needs to be restored.

Does anyone know how I can get the software to find the 2006 data? Does it need the 2006 version to be networked to find the data? Last year when it was networked I do not recall having this problem. When it was working it worked very well.

I beleive that my tech guy set it up as a mapped drive on my peer-to-peer network.

I am afraid to call tech support after my call in the other day. I really talked to someone who did not have a clue. He thanked me for using Tax Wise at the end of the call.

Nena

Nena,

I have the same problem and have contacted tech support regarding this issue. That was on Friday of last week and as of this evening I have not heard anything back from them even though they promised they would call me back. If I do hear of any fix I will certainly pass it on.

Deb!

You should be able to navigate to the location of last years database when you select rollover. There is a browse for last years file option there. If your last years program was installed in the :Program" files it may not let you share the file. You could install the program in another location and copy the database into it then share the new location. That said I've found that it's generally just best to do roll overs from the server. Also need to open new/revised forms first in server before they will work on work stations.

You should be able to navigate to the location of last years database when you select rollover. There is a browse for last years file option there. If your last years program was installed in the :Program" files it may not let you share the file. You could install the program in another location and copy the database into it then share the new location. That said I've found that it's generally just best to do roll overs from the server. Also need to open new/revised forms first in server before they will work on work stations.

But the point is that is not how the program is suppose to work. I have been using a workstation for the past 4 years and everything with the exception of minor problems has worked as designed. In the past I did have issues after updates with a misatched form however tech support last year walked me through the process of resetting my sharing permissions which took care of the problem.

This year I don't have the mismatch form error I just have the error that the return I'm trying to open has newer forms in it than what is currently installed on my workstation computer.

If I have to roll over on the server, open the returns each time I update I am waisting valuable time. I have over two hundred clients per year. I have a person who does all the preliminary work for me on the workstation then I review the return for accuracy create the e-file and print the return. I paid for the ability to network this program. If it can't be done correctly then they should adjust the price or at least tell me it's not going to work. Customer Support in the past could easily fix this problem, however when the only support we have are educated (which I really doubt is true) on the TaxWise Program then we are left in the dark.

Problem is that nobody at CCH cares about us ATX users. If they did they would start showing it.

Deb!

Deb, The network will work the way you want it to. I can't tell you how to do it because I don't know how to do it. I called a guy who sets up networks because I wanted it to work with no problems. He asked me how I would use the network and many other questions and then set it up. That was in the year 2000. I have him come in each year at the start to review my computers and system. In 2007 his time cost me $130.00, well worth the money. This way I can do what I need to do and not stress about the network.

Deb, The network will work the way you want it to. I can't tell you how to do it because I don't know how to do it. I called a guy who sets up networks because I wanted it to work with no problems. He asked me how I would use the network and many other questions and then set it up. That was in the year 2000. I have him come in each year at the start to review my computers and system. In 2007 his time cost me $130.00, well worth the money. This way I can do what I need to do and not stress about the network.

I know it will work the way I need it to. That's the point. I'm not a new comer to the network set up. I've been using it for years. The problem is something has changed. I didn't make any changes, add any new software, ect.... to my computer. I have other programs that are networked and work beautifully. The only problem I have and ever have had is with this particular problem. In the past it was always a very simple fix that I could be walked over the phone with. The problem is that nobody at customer support know this program therefore I'm getting no help.

This program comes with Tech Support (after all every piece of info, e-mail ect.. I have received from ATX assured me of the same quality of support that I have had in the past. What is ticking me off is that fact that I do not have any support! I have said it before and I will say it again, I honestly believe that it something very simple if I can speak with someone who knows what they are doing!

Deb!

I think my problem is that last years program is not networked and thus is not on a shared drive. So when I select last years file using browse it doesn't access last years data on the networked computers. So I am working on networking last years program as well and hopefully that will take care of the problem. I found the link for browse in the toolbar of the rollover screen. I will post when I get this worked out.

I think my problem is that last years program is not networked and thus is not on a shared drive. So when I select last years file using browse it doesn't access last years data on the networked computers. So I am working on networking last years program as well and hopefully that will take care of the problem. I found the link for browse in the toolbar of the rollover screen. I will post when I get this worked out.

Go to ROLLOVER option and select Browse and then select location of last year's folder. You should have to do this only once. Rest of the Rollovers will work fine.

Devm

Go to ROLLOVER option and select Browse and then select location of last year's folder. You should have to do this only once. Rest of the Rollovers will work fine.

Devm

I tried that it didn't populate the rollover returns onto the networked computers only on the main system. The only thing I can think of is that that information (2006 ATX) is not set up to be shared or networked so it is not allowing me to access that data on the additional networked systems?

I tried that it didn't populate the rollover returns onto the networked computers only on the main system. The only thing I can think of is that that information (2006 ATX) is not set up to be shared or networked so it is not allowing me to access that data on the additional networked systems?

Logon to the server and go to My Computer. goto the Drive where the folder is installed. Right click on the folder and go to Sharing and Security. This will bring a popup window.

Click on Share this folder and click on Permission. This will bring up another pop up window. you will see FULL CONTROL, Change and Read only at the bottom of the window. Click on the box next to FULL CONTROL and hit Apply.

This way you can share the folder with any networked computer.

Next you need to goto Workstation and click on My Computer.Click on TOOLS and MAP NETWORK Drive. Click on Browse and find the ATX2006 folder. Aslo ensure that Reconnect at LOGON Box is checked. This way when you logon to workstation the folder will automatically be connected.

After this setup you should be able to go to Rollover and complete as I mentioned earlier.

DevM

Deb,

Thank you for your help it is really appreciated. I tried to follow your steps but ran into a couple of questions/problems. I am running XP Home so this may make the options available to me different. I do not have an option for permissions. I just have a second option under sharing that says allow users to change files. I clicked that. I ran netsetup on the workstation and the ATX 2006 seems to be up and running and networked but my 2007 program is still not pulling the the database when I click browse and select it. However the data is populating the networked 2006 program. Any other suggestions? Nena

Dev,

Thank you for your help it is really appreciated. I tried to follow your steps but ran into a couple of questions/problems. I am running XP Home so this may make the options available to me different. I do not have an option for permissions. I just have a second option under sharing that says allow users to change files. I clicked that. I ran netsetup on the workstation and the ATX 2006 seems to be up and running and networked but my 2007 program is still not pulling the the database when I click browse and select it. However the data is populating the networked 2006 program. Any other suggestions? Nena

Are you saying when you open ATX2007 you see 2006 Data..?

When you open ATX2007 you should have 2007 Data. When you click on ROLLOVER you should now have 2006 returns and should be able to rollover 2006 into 2007. If you don't want to rollover any returns click on RETURN Manager and you will be able to open current files even if the forms are not upto date.

DevM

Dev,

I now have it. After I shared the 2006 folder it somehow disconected itself from the 2007 program on the server. So I browsed under rollover on the server and reconnected it. I also browsed and reconnected it on my workstation. And it is up and running. Thank you for all your help.

As a side note. When I update the forms on the main system do they automatically update on the workstations or do I also need to update the workstations to get the program updates and forms? Nena

I only update the programs on Server and it automatically pulls newer forms on my work station.

As a Note when I update on the Server, I ensure that the program is not running on Workstation. I hope it does the same for you.

Good Luck.

DevM

That is exactly the way it is suppose to work, and has worked for me for the past several years. This year however I cannot get the workstation to recognize any of the updated forms unless I first open them on the server. I have been complaining about this until I'm blue in the face, but so far ATX Support is just waiting until I turn blue! (I'm just about there)

I had a similar problem last year and tech walked me through changing some permissions. I can not figure out what is causing my problem now. When the program updates it appears that the workstation also is updated at least the version ect.. changes after an update. But the forms do not update causing a error everytime I try to open a return that has an updated form in it.

Deb!

Have you tried running the netsetup again on the workstation, after the update? Not that this would be a permanent solution, but if it helps until you get the problem diagnosed and fixed, it would be a step in the right direction.

Yep! I tried that when I first noticed the problem. I even removed the program from the workstation and started from scratch, but to no avail.

Tomarrow I'm thinking I will try to network my lap top and see if it will network properly. If so then I have to assume it's something in the workstation. If not then I know there is something that needs to be tweaked and will have to rely on the mercy of ATX.

Thanks again KC!

Deb!