ATX Community

Weird Coincidence?

kcjenkins

Weird, maybe. But certainly just a coincidence, something that seems like a meaningful connection but is actually just happenstance. Imagine how many lawyers are swarming around these tragedies, all looking for the deep pockets. They're bound to come up with something. And what pockets are deeper than banks? Where the lawyers are already swarming anyway.

But there are also some very meaningful connections. One is mental illness--which our society hasn't had the courage to confront. Another is easy access to military weapons--which likewise.

I implore everyone not to take seriously any rumors, news reports (unless official from the CT State Police), "knowledge" gleaned from the internet, or anything else regarding this unimaginable tragedy. I live close to Newtown CT and I cannot tell you what life around here is like right now--daily life made much more difficult by all the crap floating around out there. There were two days of "facts" like the shooter's mother worked at the school (not so), to hints that she was going to institutionalize him on the West coast (not verified), to he was a "gamer" hooked on violent video games (who knows?). When I saw the first headlines they were all over the place, so I decided to exit the screen and revisit it later to learn what really happened. In the days that followed, the information oozing out of everywhere has been even less reliable.

Have clear heads, people. We cannot fathom this horrendous slaughter, and it's human nature to seek reasons and explanations that can help us get our heads around it. At the moment, no one knows--but that's a truth we can't accept as we struggle to understand why this happened.

I cannot describe the heartfelt pain and sorrow of everyone I see in these days that are supposed to be the happiest of the year. Our local paper had to add a full page to the local section the past few days just to fit all the obituaries (many with pictures that were surely the class photos taken this fall). PLEASE, PLEASE, stop trying to extract meaning from any but official statements. Right now, we just don't know.

What we do know is that these families have had their hearts torn from them. The entire community is in mourning for them. At the moment let's give up the quest to be rational. It's based on unconfirmed information or misinformation. Focus that energy instead on the victims' families and on the community. We are in such pain.

Living in Jonesboro AR, site of the Westside School shooting, [the parents of one of the young shooters had been my clients for years], I totally understand the pain you express. That event was in 1998, and the pain is still close. The very fact that the act was so senseless makes it impossible to ever accept.

I also know that there is no 'law' that we could pass that could have prevented any of these horrid events. I think what we need to remember, even as we grieve for the families, and the town, is that in almost every case of such a mass attack, it is the arrival on the scene of one or more armed people that ended the attacks.

When did the shooters in CT and OR stop? When someone pointed a gun at them. At the OR mall, a man with a legal concealed-carry license pulled his, pointed at the shooter - who then killed himself; the other man never fired. At the CT school, once confronted by law enforcement, again the shooter turned the gun on himself. Same thing for Columbine. LEGAL guns, carried by GOOD people, STOP deaths. Don't let your horror at what happened blind you to the reality that these events are committed by disturbed individuals, usually with stolen weapons. We have to deal better with mental illness, but we can not expect that we can stop one by passing a law or a dozen laws. Or that we can make any place totally safe. Crazed people do crazy things.

• Like 2

I thought this historical quote sort of puts things into perspective. Clearly, this debate has been going a LONG time.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." --Cesare Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishment, quoted by Thomas Jefferson in Commonplace Book

• Like 1