ATX Community

TRX Software - REFUND Requested!

ed_accountant

I renewed TaxWorks in April 2012 with TRX Software. As we now have discovered in December 2012, TRX Software cannot deliver Taxworks.

I have requested a refund in writing on Thursday, 12/13/12. I have followed up with a telephone call today and spoke with Karen Bills to request my refund. Karen Bills is researching the telephone history of my April 2012 telephone call to determine if TRX Software promised Taxworks. After using Taxworks for 2 years, I certainly did not renew to purchase TAXEXACT! I renewed only to purchase TAXWORKS. I told the Salesperson Thom Pope that I was renewing for TaxWorks only. Thom Pope, TRXSoftware Sales person told me TRXSoftware was in contract with Taxworks for another year so the would have Taxworks for next year.

I am awaiting a decision from TRX Software regarding the refund!

I renewed TaxWorks in April 2012 with TRX Software. As we now have discovered in December 2012, TRX Software cannot deliver Taxworks.

I have requested a refund in writing on Thursday, 12/13/12. I have followed up with a telephone call today and spoke with Karen Bills to request my refund. Karen Bills is researching the telephone history of my April 2012 telephone call to determine if TRX Software promised Taxworks. After using Taxworks for 2 years, I certainly did not renew to purchase TAXEXACT! I renewed only to purchase TAXWORKS. I told the Salesperson Thom Pope that I was renewing for TaxWorks only. Thom Pope, TRXSoftware Sales person told me TRXSoftware was in contract with Taxworks for another year so the would have Taxworks for next year.

I am awaiting a decision from TRX Software regarding the refund!

Ed is it really necessary for you to create this type of forum? I have been very upfront and said if anyone was told thet were going to receive TaxWorks / RedGear specifically I would refund their money. I have pulled the call and you were never told TaxWorks but I knew this prior to pulling the call since the only reference to TaxWorks we are able to make per our contract is either RedGear or 1040Works. We have never sold TaxWorks here ever, we have only sold a rebrand of 1040works they would not allow us to resell TaxWorks. The sales person told you correctly we were in contract talks. Ed if you want RedGear I am glad to sell it to you as I stated before, but there will be a upcharge. Doug Hughes

Ed,

You are absolutely correct in that I was also assured that TRX would be offering Tax Works for 2012 before I committed to prepurchase the software in April 2012!

I am not as yet certain as to which direction I will be proceeding as TaxExact at this time leaves a whole lot to be desired. The fact that I am only preparing 50 or so mixed returns for 2012 doesn't leave me much choice from a price prospective, however I do need software that is complete, accurate and that I can trust the outcomes of?

I will continue to review TaxExact and see if it in fact meets my needs.

Best of luck to you.

Mike Dubin CPA

PS: Please post your recollections of TRX's committment before you renewed your membership in April of 2012!

I also requested the "TaxWorks' prodct and was told that it would be available. With that said, I am giving TaxExact a try. I have about 70 clients which equates to just over 100 returns as of the 2011 filing season. I count entire families as one client even though there may be 2, 3 4 or more returns involved due to minor, college age as well as full grown children living in the household with returns ranging from very simple to sole props.

I decided not to get into the refund request at this late stage and to give Doug and his team a fair chance to prove their software. Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised and hopefully continuing my relationship with his company. So far Doug seems to be willing address issues and correct them to our satisfaction with his product.

We who have already paid for renewals of TRX are somewhat between a rock and a hard place. For a small practice, software price is a major concern. As far as I know, TRX/TaxExact is the lowest priced 1040 software, several hundred dollars less than the well established TaxAct. Marketing hype aside, it's unreasonible on our part to expect the lowest priced product to have all the features of the higher priced products. So unless TaxExact is totally useless, Plan A is probably to share in the growing pains of a developing product. For this year.

If TaxExact doesn't perform to your satisfaction within a few weeks after the filing season actually begins, then Plan B is to switch software in the middle of the season. I've done it -- it's painful and costly (except in my case the original s/w company did refund my purchase price.)

If, based on your evaluation of TaxExact to date, and your expectations of what must be done to make it acceptible, you determine that you will have to switch software after the season begins, then SWITCH NOW. All you have to lose is money, which is better than losing clients* or submitting incorrect returns to the IRS.

* Edit - or losing your hair, which is N/A in my case

Karen also refused me a refund. I'm in the process now of disputing the charge via my credit card company. I've also filed a complaint with the BBB. These are just first steps, obviously; there are more options down the road for trying to get a refund. In the long run, I know I'll get it back; it's a question of how much time and effort it's going to take to get there... Very frustrating. I'm hoping TRX changes it's mind, and saves us all a lot of trouble.

I also called yesterday and spoke to Karen Bills who said she reviewed my call, and didn't have time to get back to me although she stated yesterday that a return phone call would come from her. I was told originally that I would be receiving TaxWorks as did the other users of this forum. I have requested a refund and she refused and frankly, kept talking over me to the point that I could not longer take the run around. The TN Attorney General has listed TRX as a "Buyer Beware" company. Here is the link for you to see - http://tn.gov/consum...ort12.17.12.pdf.

I also called yesterday and spoke to Karen Bills who said she reviewed my call, and didn't have time to get back to me although she stated yesterday that a return phone call would come from her. I was told originally that I would be receiving TaxWorks as did the other users of this forum. I have requested a refund and she refused and frankly, kept talking over me to the point that I could not longer take the run around. The TN Attorney General has listed TRX as a "Buyer Beware" company. Here is the link for you to see - http://tn.gov/consum...ort12.17.12.pdf.

Magy let me restate what I have said all along if you were told you were getting RedGear we will refund your money, also why did you not say something yesterday when we exchanged messages? The Buyer Beware report also has Jackson Hewitt, Verizon, NFL, HP, Dell, Home Depot, HGTV, Ebay, Disney, AT&T, Buick, Ford, Suzuki, Kroger, Western Union, U Haul, Subaru, Sirius Radio, Sallie Mae Student Loans, Hertz, DirectTV,Honda, Nissan, Econo Lodge, Books a Million, Beltone, Family Dollar, Central Parking, Aaron's, etc. the list goes on and on of companies I would be willing to bet you use everyday.

Magy, I will find out from Karen why she did not call you back, but she is getting me a list of anyone who has asked for a refund and we are pulling the calls so I assure you if you were told that you were getting RedGear and you want a refund you will get it.

Doug Hughes

Karen also refused me a refund. I'm in the process now of disputing the charge via my credit card company. I've also filed a complaint with the BBB. These are just first steps, obviously; there are more options down the road for trying to get a refund. In the long run, I know I'll get it back; it's a question of how much time and effort it's going to take to get there... Very frustrating. I'm hoping TRX changes it's mind, and saves us all a lot of trouble.

Matt, I have spoke with you everyday on here and you say you are going to try TRX Pro, but you want a refund and then repurchase I am a little confused. Now you are saying you are disputing the charges with your credit card company, I cannot issue you a refund when you are disputing the charges it is in the hands of your credit card company and my merchant account. As far as the BBB you know they closed the complaint because you flat out told them something that was not true, after that you even said on here that you figured I would not want you as a customer.

Matt I will work with you just like I told you but I have personally listened to the call with you and not one time were you told RedGear, TaxWorks or 1040Works so please quit trying to say you were. I have told you if you want RedGear I will get it for you but there is an up charge from TRX Pro that you will have to pay and it is at my cost. I want you and everyone happy with my Company but a refund is out of my hands now that you have disputed it, now it is between your card and my merchant account company so until then how can I help you.

Doug Hughes

Ed,

You are absolutely correct in that I was also assured that TRX would be offering Tax Works for 2012 before I committed to prepurchase the software in April 2012!

I am not as yet certain as to which direction I will be proceeding as TaxExact at this time leaves a whole lot to be desired. The fact that I am only preparing 50 or so mixed returns for 2012 doesn't leave me much choice from a price prospective, however I do need software that is complete, accurate and that I can trust the outcomes of?

I will continue to review TaxExact and see if it in fact meets my needs.

Best of luck to you.

Mike Dubin CPA

PS: Please post your recollections of TRX's committment before you renewed your membership in April of 2012!

Mike, I have had your called pulled and yes you did say you wanted RedGear so I have no problem giving you a refund and will do so in the morning, thanks for your previous business but my software is complete, accurate and I trust its outcome. Remember as I have told you previously we e-filed 50,000 returns complete and accurately this past tax season in our BETA test and we have already passed the IRS ATS testing this year that is required by the IRS each year. We are continuing to make updates to the software features and calculation updates daily as the states and IRS give them to us.

Best of Luck with your new 10th software company and if you want RedGear I can sell it to you at list price.

Sincerely,

Doug Hughes

$550.00 through another reseller they have. Keep in mind RedGear has totally rewrote their program and it has not been tested and will not be out until Jan. 1st. It is not going to be the same RedGear as last year the entire look and feel has changed to accomodate H&R Block their new owner.

Doug

Thanks for your response.

I never requested a refund, in fact I wrote that "I will continue to review TaxExact and see if it in fact meets my needs." Under he circumstances I wish to keep my options open.

I do hope that this software is as successful as you espouse because that will benefit all of us.

I wish to retaim my membership with you until further notice.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for your response.

I never requested a refund, in fact I wrote that "I will continue to review TaxExact and see if it in fact meets my needs." Under he circumstances I wish to keep my options open.

I do hope that this software is as successful as you espouse because that will benefit all of us.

I wish to retaim my membership with you until further notice.

Thanks

Mike

Mike with the comments you continue making and jumping on every ban wagon for the few people wanting refunds I do not think it is in the best interest for us to continue to do business together. Plus we are not playing the fence here either you are onboard or you are not, Karen said you called her yesterday wanting a refund and now you say you don't???? I wish you would have spent this negative energy with positive suggestions on what you think the software needs to satisfy you as others have. It is lunch time here so if you want to email me do so but I done with this negative drama from you, Our TRX Pro is a great product and even getting better everyday.

Doug

Doug,

If you issue a refund, then the inquiry will be closed. The person at my credit card company who is overseeing the inquiry will see the refund on my account, and that will be the end of it. I called my credit card company, and that's what they told me.

And yes, I do still want a refund. (As soon as the refund posts to my account, I will make sure to call the credit card company and close the dispute, just to make sure.)

As for TaxExact, or TaxWorks, or other software - I am still exploring my options.

(I assume the $550 TaxWorks package you've mentioned is their "Basic" Package?? No asset manager, no business/entity module, so that won't work for me, but others may be very interested.)

- Matt

Doug,

If you issue a refund, then the inquiry will be closed. The person at my credit card company who is overseeing the inquiry will see the refund on my account, and that will be the end of it. I called my credit card company, and that's what they told me.

And yes, I do still want a refund. (As soon as the refund posts to my account, I will make sure to call the credit card company and close the dispute, just to make sure.)

As for TaxExact, or TaxWorks, or other software - I am still exploring my options.

(I assume the $550 TaxWorks package you've mentioned is their "Basic" Package?? No asset manager, no business/entity module, so that won't work for me, but others may be very interested.)

- Matt

Matt again the refund is out of my hands now and between your card and my merchant services, this is a service from my merchant account. And the $550.00 includes:

Includes ALL Federal individual Forms and ALL States Individual

Includes ALL Federal Business Forms and MOST States Business

Doug,

Is there any way you can send me an email with some detail on the TaxWorks package? Does it include efile? Asset Manager? Payroll? (This may solve everything for me, but... I'd need the details!)

In another thread you mentioned that the TaxWorks software would cost $800 including asset manager; but then later you said $1099-$1199 plus $400 for the asset manager. Here you're saying $550. Just looking for clarification! Thanks,

Also - I'm happy to cancel the inquiry if you'll agree to issue the refund. Just say the word. You can even just refund my money via a check in the mail, if you prefer.

- Matt