ATX Community

File Labels

Chowdahead

I just want to pick your brain on how you organize your client files. For some perspective, I have about 700-800 clients.

I absolutely hate writing client names on file folders by hand. However, I have tried to use labeling machines like Dymo and I find that they have a high operating cost because the cartridges are very expensive. Plus it gets time consuming to have to manually punch in the name, and then have to retype or reprint if there is an error.

Is there a better way that integrates nicely with ATX, such as a specialized label printer or something?

I transferred my office to paperless and don't worry about it.

I've considered going paperless but you can never go truly paperless. I wouldn't feel comfortable not storing the original W-2s and signed e-file authorizations. Plus their are other important docs like privacy policy, and bank docs that are necessary.

IRS has previously stated that you can electronically store W2 and other tax documents that you use to prepare a return, including the signed authorization. What I do is after the tax season ends I get a part time help to scan all the docs into a software called ScanSoft that also works as a OCR with Word. I keep the paper signed authorizations for 3 years and then I shred them. If I had to keep all the paper docs I would have to rent a storage shed!!!

You can go into reports in ATX and export client list to excel, then go to word and under tools mail merge. Then you can set-up the labels to include just what you want and choose the type of label.

You can also just print labels from ATX reports... you can only print the basic size of label ... like the avery 5160 ( 30 per sheet). It will print all client information (that will fit on the label). I have printed labels for my client folders this way for several years. Only thing is it prints the label John & Mary Smith.

Not Smith, John and Mary.

But I can live with that..

taxtrio

Paperless. Scan It all. I'm only one person so I don't have a file management program. Just use windows explorer files. Folders for business tax, personal tax, etc., subfolders for client names (alpha divided into 4 groups), subfolders for year under each client (and a permanent file folder), under the year, various category folders for different types of info. Backup to external HD, alternating two at home and office. All encrypted.