ATX Community

2011 TaxWorks Labels

GeneInAlabama

I believe you have to rebuild the client database under the utility menu. Some software call it reindex the database. Usually that solves missing client problems unless that client record is corrupted or deleted.

I had this same problem again this year & remembered that we discussed it last year:

Note that Don's link no longer works. I did a search there and found this "fix":

http://support.taxprepsoft.com/?p=9179

It does require you to unlock all clients, which I found you can do all at once. When you are in "Clients" click the check box next to each client you want in your labels report (or use the box at the top to check all of them). Then right click and choose "lock / unlock." In the next box click "unlock." It will then come up and warn you about losing ALL SIGNATURES. I don't know what that meant, so I made sure to have a clean backup of my client folders, closed my eyes and clicked "OK." (Granted, that was probably not a smart thing to do, but I wanted to finish my New Years cards mailouts - only a week and a half late thanks to waiting for e-file start date.) Then I did the Batch Process and everybody was in my label report.

All that seemed to work OK, but I'm still not sure what effect (if any) there was by deleting all signatures.

Good luck.

I wonder if we will be asking this question again next year with Tax Exact?

Gene, are you trying to print labels for mailings or to make new client folders? You can still use the 2011 program to print out labels if you run into issues with 2012 program. Since the 2012 organizers were not ready in time for my mailing early jan I used the 2011 to print then changed the date to sort of make it work for 2012. What I really need from my clients as an update is new dependents, new job, new business assets, disposals etc. so that I can start building them into their file. Comes in handy when a client has many items.

I was trying to print labels for mailing. I am a little confused about printing new client folders. Are you saying that some print new client folders each year? I use one folder for each client and put the return for each year in that folder. When it gets too large to manage, I make a 2nd or 3rd folder for that client. If there is a better way of doing it, I am wide open for suggestions. Sometimes when working alone, you miss some simple and obvious ways of doing things. That is what is so great about this board, you aren't completely alone.

Every tax preparer is different but I buy a pendaflex folder (the green one with hooks) for a client, and then add manilla folders inside it for each year. After 3 years I transfer them to a banker box (cardboard filing box) and store them in my attic. This way my office is less cluttered with filing cabinets. I do tell clients that if they want to discuss any return more than 3 years old, they have to give me 24 hour notice so that I can retrieve my material from archived storage.

My son got me a label maker few years back to make those fancy labels. I sometimes use that if I am in a rush.

Few years back one of my pain in the neck customer started giving me grief about that. I told him to walk into his bank and ask for that check that was cashed 3 years back and let me know how soon the bank gets it for him. He stopped complaining after that!

For the past few years, I haven't used physical files. I have tried to go paperless and I just scan everything to a PDF and keep it in a folder by year then by client. This been a lot easier to work with especially if you use multiple monitors. I hardly keep any paper now. I just scan the client documents and then print a copy of their return to a PDF. I will print a copy for the client if that is what they want.

I am trying to go paperless as well, and hopefully by 2014 I will achieve it. My newer clients are already paperless. I need some time to scan the last 3 yrs docs for existing clients.

I am in the process of going paperless, but not sure if I'll ever get there. I still work better with paper while I'm working on the actual return.

I have a fire-proof safe where I keep manilla envelopes for each client. They are stacked by year and then each client is alphabetized within that. In 2009 my husband started scanning all my documents. And my safe is rather full. So, I'm going through the oldest years and checking that everything in the envelope is in the scanned file. Then I shred the paper. When I get caught up, I'll probably still have 2 or 3 years of paper in the safe.

On my computer I have a folder for each client. Then within each client folder I have a folder for each year. I have to admit that having everyting on the computer is a faster way to look up stock basis info or other things I've used in a prior year - and just don't remember which year. I'm finding some things now just belong in a client's root folder if it may apply to multiple years.

I am now spending a lot of time travelling in the off-season. And there is no way I can get my big safe in the RV! So now I have everything with me and if I get a call or e-mail from a client, they don't have to know I'm out of town!

I do the same as SLD.

All docs scanned in folder by year then client to pdf, the return too.

I have been trying to get my clients to take an electronic copy on CD ($5) insteadof the paper return and for the last two years had NO takers. They all want the paper copy/folder of their return. I still going to push it but hate to resort to a discount to take a cd instead of paper. I dont know why they dont want it.

Easy storage, print whatever you want when you want. All documents there and they can even upload it to cloud storage if they want to reduce paper storage (what I do for my personal returns). Its a no brainer for me but young and old alike continue to want the paper docs. Very confusing especially for the younger people who are more familiar with the internet/computer.

Crank, I know why clients don't want a CD. They want something they can see and be able to fax to bank etc. when needed. I also give them the option, and so far the takers have been my business clients. They get a paper copy plus CD if requested (no charge!). I buy my CD by the 1000s at discount office supply stores and Tigerdirect when they run a sale. I backup my season's work on DVDs.

If you want to store documents electronically invest in a external harddrive with at least 1.5 or 2 Tetra byte capacity. I have an old one that is only 1TB and I am about half full with 3 years data.

Taxed, you are probably right. I might start giving the CD this year to try to ween them off of paper. I bought 1000 the year before last online, got a very good price.

I use disc, external hard drive and cloud backups. I like the Western Digital external hard drives. I have a 500GB passport (no power required) and a 2TB that I picked up on Amazon for $90 this past year.

There you go, you are way ahead of me with the latest gadgets! I do not trust cloud after reading all the breaches that happen. I will try cloud ONLY after I get written guarantee backed by insurance that I will be totally idemnified should a breach cause client data to be disclosed.

Please do, if the price is right I may do it for my good (pay on time) clients. I think last time i checked it was costing me 39cents per CD, and I could fit all the source docs. and PDF of Fed and state returns in one CD. I zip the files.

On that note any way TRX can password protect PDF files that it creates??

There you go, you are way ahead of me with the latest gadgets! I do not trust cloud after reading all the breaches that happen. I will try cloud ONLY after I get written guarantee backed by insurance that I will be totally idemnified should a breach cause client data to be disclosed.

I encrypt my cloud backups with a long confusing pass phrase ... but Im still concerned

Please do, if the price is right I may do it for my good (pay on time) clients. I think last time i checked it was costing me 39cents per CD, and I could fit all the source docs. and PDF of Fed and state returns in one CD. I zip the files.

On that note any way TRX can password protect PDF files that it creates??

I have given this a thought but was holding back on the clients overall reluctance to the CDs