ATX Community

Inmates & dependent status

elfling

Client call this morning about dependent.

Grandson, who has been dependent on tax return since age 2, incarcerated in juvenile detention center fall of 2011 just after his 18th birthday, Prior to that was in high school. 2011 dependent exemption was taken.

2012 scenario more complex: Grandson turned 19 years old in fall and was moved for state prison. So all of 2012 he was incarcerated, not in school, not at home either. My client wonders if his incarceration constituted a temporary absence. She noted that imprisonment is not in that list.

I believe her grandson is now disqualified as a dependent due to the county, then state, having provided all of his "support" at the respective jails. Cost client nothing.

Agreed or am I not thinking clearly? So far, I am unable to find any absolute direction in researching. Does anyone have a cite that would help?

Elfling

Already have a mother as client and her son is in the can! Had to argue with her few years back why she could not claim him as a dependent even though it was costing her a few hundred dollars to go visit and fill up that jail commisary account for personal needs.

>><costing her a few hundred dollars to go visit and fill up that jail commisary account for personal needs.<

And why not? In my opinion, incarceration shouldn't count in the dependency calculation, because the fair market rental value of such housing is almost zero, due to low tenant demand.