ATX Community

Form 8829 & Sch A & Cap Gains Issues

Terry D EA

I just did the 8829 and if you do the 8829 form first and put in your indirect expenses, then choose the schedule A the unused portion of the property taxes and mortgage interest does flow to the schedule A.

I received this from Doug Hughes in an e-mail. It has always been my practice to complete forms and Schedules in order. But, now that I know this, I will complete any 8829 form first before completing the Schedule A. Personally, I haven't tried it yet but I will. Here is some additional information on the capital gains entries:

When we updated to version .10 the developers reformatted the form with various and Inherited it will be corrected in the next update.

Terry I bet most of us were taught to do schedules in order. I check Sch A first before moving to C. As a matter of fact I do C the last most of the times because that is where most of the "what if happens" if you know what I mean.

So now to accomodate this software we have to change? Did not have to do with the old software. I am toooo old to learn a new trick now! :wall:

Terry I bet most of us were taught to do schedules in order. I check Sch A first before moving to C. As a matter of fact I do C the last most of the times because that is where most of the "what if happens" if you know what I mean.

So now to accomodate this software we have to change? Did not have to do with the old software. I am toooo old to learn a new trick now! :wall:

Taxed maybe it is you that is backwards

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 93 posts

Posted Today, 01:25 PM

Crank, I noticed that one of the programs I used in the last couple of years (there's been so many since since ATX messed everyone up) did the same thing, and, actually, I found I liked doing the 8829 first, and having the balance go to the A. For me, it was one less entry to re-type. The order I use now is - client info, W-2's, C (including 8829), E, B, A, and then whatever else might be needed. Hey, sometimes a little change can spice things up! ;))

Well, I get the low hanging fruit out f the way first. W-2s, int, dividends, Sch A, etc and usually work on the more complex schdulesand forms last (C, D, E, etc.)

Actually I persort my documents that way first too.

Crank it is all about preference, my grandfather used to say son there is more than one way to skin a cat. However I really never understood where that came from since I never saw anyone skin a cat or even want to.

Doug

I guess me and a few others work backwards according to TRX1. But should a software force a preparer to do it in that order otherwise it will not work. I have used probably half a dozen tax software in my life. Never had to face this. I guess we will call TRX software the TaxNazi (Seinfield joke).

I agree with the method of sorting the client forms in order and the tax forms. I too have done it that way for years and have become quite anal about it. However, it makes sense to me that if I enter a figure in Sch A that corresponds to another form and enter the same or different figure on the 8829, the program doesn't really know which number to use. I get that so I will change my order of things for a return that will use these forms. It is just another learning curve. I don't welcome change easy either but we just have to do what we have to do. I did as Doug suggested and the forms DO calculate correctly and the correct amounts flow to both Sch A and C.

I wonder if the rest of you know about the little green button at the bottom of the screen just above the task bar? I just learned that this is the recalculation button. If you delete a form for any reason and then add that form, it doesn't calculate automatically. Yes, I know TaxWorks and ATX did this without the extra step and sometimes with ATX we had to use F9 to force a recalculation. So, use the green button often to reclaculate the return if you make any changes. If I am a little off here, I hope Doug or someone chimes in to correct me.

Terry can you do all of us a favor and try it this way and see if it calculates all the line #s correctly. I tried after reading your first post and could not do it.

I did not enter anything on Sch A. Went straight to C did that then went to 8829 and did that. On 8829 line # 40 remains 0. Does not change can't link it to any worksheet.

So then I come back and look at Sh A and line # 10,11, 15 are still 0. Line # 6 is 0 but line #9 has the balance of the RE tax.

Is that what you are finding or all your lines are correct? I hope i am not losing it with all the stress :scratch_head:

Try clicking on the small green dot in the task bar area of the software screen. For me to see this, I had to auto-hide the windows task bar. TRX support told me to change my screen resolution but that doesn't help as I am set at the optimum resolution for my computer. So, auto hiding the task bar works for me. Clicking on the green button forces the program to calculate. When you click on the button it will turn red while the calculation is in progress. After it is finished it will turn back to green. I did exactly as you said and had to do the same thing. I know it is an extra step and we shouldn't have to force a calcuation but for now, all I care about is that it works and the numbers are correct. I hope this helps.

Thanks. I will try as you suggested. If it works for then it should work for everyone else. I may have to change my screen resolution or autohide to see that green button. You would think the manual would have said that after adding a form or changing it you must hit that again and again. We never had to worry about that in the 2011 product. Now I may have to stick a posty note on my already cramped monitor to hit that green light???

I will post back if it works.

Little improvement but nothing to brag about! So I hit that green button on each form, waited for it to return from red to green and again did it so 2 times.

On Sch A line 6 is still 0. Line 9 has the amount as before.

Line 10, 11 still 0. Line #15 has the amount

Form 8829 line 40 still 0. Line 7 is 15 digits (can that be correct, I thought you only had to go to 2 decimal places)?

So when you print sch A , the amount appears under the total lines, but the individual item lines are still 0. If we file it that way first will it go through MeF? If we file it paper will it be rejected?

Terry is that how your Sch A looked like or all your line #s filled and correct. Pls. confirm.

If this is how it is going to be, then we will see when filing starts, unless this is a bug and TRX1 is working on it, because he has not updated us.

My Sch A was fine and did have the proper numbers. I have not tried to print so I can't answer there. I did run the adding machine to verify every line. I don't know if this will work or not. But, delete the Sch A, 8829 and Sch C from the return. Go back and add the forms. Enter all of the information on 8829 first, then complete the Sch C. Nothing will calculate until you hit the green button. I hope this time, it populates the Sch A correctly for you.

I am working out of a test return that I have continually added forms and deleted forms to see what the program will do. I have added forms in the order that I have for years and ran into the 8829 Sch A problem. So far, everything else is good.

I wonder if we could screen share with each other to help one another using the team viewer thing. Anyone know if we can do this?

You can get free copies if your using it for personal use. But be careful you may be more ethical than someone else and if they get in toruble and they say you help them do it on a screen share. But it is a great way to do support and you would be supprised how many times we have asked someone have you checked that box or did you delete that and they say yes and then you find out the opposite once you get on a screen share.

Doug

My Sch A was fine and did have the proper numbers. I have not tried to print so I can't answer there. I did run the adding machine to verify every line. I don't know if this will work or not. But, delete the Sch A, 8829 and Sch C from the return. Go back and add the forms. Enter all of the information on 8829 first, then complete the Sch C. Nothing will calculate until you hit the green button. I hope this time, it populates the Sch A correctly for you.

I am working out of a test return that I have continually added forms and deleted forms to see what the program will do. I have added forms in the order that I have for years and ran into the 8829 Sch A problem. So far, everything else is good.

Ok. I am back. Followed your directions to the T. No change when I printed. So then I come back and look at the input screens. Now on the input screen line # 6 has a figure. But on the PDF that is printed line #6 is 0. On the input screen line# 10 has a figure and again the printed PDF that line is 0.

So once again Terry can you actually see the PDF not just your screen and tell me if you agree/diagree with yours.

If you are different than mine, then I will uninstall the system tonight including Adobe and start all over again.

Thanks in advance for your help. Now I will get that drink (hot chocolate so that I can sleep)!

Entering 8829 first worked for me and the indirect expenses and depr flowed to sch c.

I m not in as much of a panic since I dont have returns to work on next week.

Edit: yes, it is on both my screen peek and the .pdf file

Also, this is fine for me to know that the 8829 has to be completed first. What cause me some concer is that are there any other forms that require a particular order. Or is this order issue rectified by using the interview mode ...which I never use.

Yes already uninstalled last night. Will reinstall as soon as TRX releases the next update. I don't want the files to get corrupted with old junk, if that was the problem. I am not sure, but I want a clean install.

Hope the next update is today???? (Pray Pray)

I intend to do just that. Complete clean install of TRX and Adobe. I never had any issue with Adobe in any other software. As a matter of fact I just created a new return in the 2011 software just to see if I could view and create PDF it worked perfectly. So I am thinking may be it is not Adobe unless there is something unique about this new software that Adobe does not work?? I am completely stumped.