ATX Community

2011 Planner vs 2012 reality

Terry O

Ok - -we all have clients that need to "guestimate" their 2012 tax liability by 1/15/13.

When I used the 2011 planner for 2012 - -a few clients had a very large AMT tax included in their 2012 estimate. I KNOW that the laws changed very late in 2012 - -so don't jump on me yet please!

When I FINALLY was able to roll over a couple of them yesterday and today - - - the difference was a staggering $8000 - -$5000 and $4000!!!!

A HUGE difference in the amount needed for estimated tax purposes - -but it came to late.

THIS is the reason we pay the $$$$ for - - -this is what keeps clients coming back - -the ability to not only prepare current tax years, but to help them plan for the future.

So, while I realize that the tax law had changed very late in the year (don't know how many times I am going to have to repeat this), but I am still disappointed in the slowness of the 2012 program, in opening up clients, imputing numbers and overall sluggishness.

My 2 cents.

:dunno:

Joan, does your planner have the updated AMT exemption amounts? I just ran an update of 2011 a few minutes ago and my planner still has the old amounts. I didn't think ATX was updating the 2011 program any more now that 2012 has been released. The AMT was an issue for many of my planning clients too.

ETA: my 1040 planner form is version 22.