ATX Community

IRS Response. We will be back!

Guest Taxed

As of Friday, Jan. 18, 2013, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia has enjoined the Internal Revenue Service from enforcing the regulatory requirements for registered tax return preparers. In accordance with this order, tax return preparers covered by this program are not currently required to register with the IRS, to complete competency testing or secure continuing education. The ruling does not affect the regulatory practice requirements for CPAs, attorneys, enrolled agents, enrolled retirement plan agents or enrolled actuaries.

The Internal Revenue Service, working with the Department of Justice, continues to have confidence in the scope of its authority to administer this program. It is considering how best to address the court's order and will take further action shortly. Please continue to check this site as additional information becomes available.

Breaking News from the Return Preparer Office

• The ruling has been a setback to the RPO program
  • The IRS will stop scheduling RTRP exams by the end of today, January 22, 2013
  • The online PTIN system is currently not available
  • Continuing education for RTRPs is no longer mandatory, it's voluntary

So... will they refund us out PTIN fees??

Did you mean PTIN fees or the Prometric RTRP fees that people paid to schedule and take the test?

I don't think the case was about PTIN, so no refunds on that baby, BUT I do think these lawyers may start a class action against IRS and Prometric to get the RTRP fees back.

Also think about all those ads we used to get for test taking training etc. They are out of business overnight!!

Did you mean PTIN fees or the Prometric RTRP fees that people paid to schedule and take the test?

I don't think the case was about PTIN, so no refunds on that baby, BUT I do think these lawyers may start a class action against IRS and Prometric to get the RTRP fees back.

Also think about all those ads we used to get for test taking training etc. They are out of business overnight!!

Well that's assuming the IRS doesn't win an appeal and/or congress doesn't give the IRS the authority to enforce it. My prediction is the IRS will get what they need to continue on, one way or another.

>>the Prometric RTRP fees that people paid to schedule and take the test<<

Gee, I guess people can't deduct those fees for an illegal program! Not ordinary and necessary.

Please, can you all just settle down? There's going to be registration in the end, and it's going to be worse next time. The first thing Congress will ask is, why only $63? They'll probably require a $10,000 bond and 20 hours CPE like California does. And no corporations or partnerships until the new test is developed. Then you all can be upset.