ATX Community

Why so much concern about depreciation this early??

Jack from Ohio

The IRS has not released form 4562 yet. It is silly to think that depreciation will calculate properly before ATX releases the updated form. This cannot happen till the IRS releases the form.

Returns with Form 4562 are scheduled to start being accepted Feb. 28 or Mar. 1.

Why the "way too soon" expectations that depreciation will calculate properly? :dunno::scratch_head:

It is unfair to catagorize the software as defective over this issue.

The IRS has released the form?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4562.pdf

There's a difference between not releasing a form and not processing it. Like the 8863. So the form and instructions are released, you could calculate the expected returns now. You just can't file them yet. Problem would be that their computers aren't setup to process the forms, but the forms are complete.

The IRS has released the form?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4562.pdf

There's a difference between not releasing a form and not processing it. Like the 8863. So the form and instructions are released, you could calculate the expected returns now. You just can't file them yet. Problem would be that their computers aren't setup to process the forms, but the forms are complete.

But has the IRS approved the form for ATX that will allow them to update the form in the program? Same question...

I have to respectfully disagree Jack. The 4562 issue has to do more with the IRS systems than the writing of the code for the software. I might agree with you if it were a more obscure issue, but the programmers know what the rules are and should be able to program those. Depreciation is not just about form 4562. ATX's separate Fixed Asset Manager does not even have a 4562 and near as I can tell it is calculating all of my depreciation with all of the different nuances correctly. And yes, I am checking it.