ATX Community

IRS Received $100 million

TRX 1

In the IRS’s legal brief in support of its motion, the agency admitted it had already received “over $100 million” in user fees from tax preparers, while only spending about $50 million to implement the regulations. But the IRS objected to spending the much smaller sum of $238,000 simply to notify tax preparers of the judge’s ruling in this case.

Why doesn't the IRS just make it optional to take the testing and market it where taxpayers only want to get their taxes done by some one who has taken this exam. It would be cheaper for the American tax payers and it would give the advantage to the tax preparers who are willing to participate voluntarily. By doing this it would come with rules and laws just like a drivers license, and a point system to where you could get suspended if you get to many points. To pass this test it should be made rather easy and the program should be more about the continuing education year after year, we could call it Assistant Enrolled Agent (AEA). Kind of sounds like Assistant District Attorney, but it works. If you want to become a full EA then you would take testing and Continuing education clases to achieve that over time but on the way have it ranked AEA 1, AEA 2 etc. This way the tax payer would know who is really trying to stay on top of things to get the tax payer the best deserved refund and if the tax payer did not choose to check the tax preparers credentials then that would be on the tax payer.

This make no sense to anyone else but it did kind of work for the Military...

Doug Hughes

• Like 1

IRS should in my opinion make the designation optional HOWEVER tax preparers who were forced to pay for these fees because they had no choice should be given the option to get a refund! The real losers in this deal are the exam prep shops and prometric. I got emails from some of these outfits that they have reduced the CE fees (15 credits) to $29 from $99 in December! Very soon they will be begging for takers.

Doug,

Tthe date of promised functionality has arrived and there are still basic issues to be addressed on the 1040 side not to mention the states and business forms.

I agree, I believe you need to communicate what is/isnt happening on this forum. I realize that you apparently stopped posting to focus on the software but now that the critical time has arrived I believe its time to start addressing the issues again.

Remember you guys were giving TRX all the benefit of doubt when I questioned if they would even be ready to ship a professional tax software free of bugs. Well today was the deadline and what happened? Have you been able to e-file a single return using this software? Have you been able to download and use any state returns. You know all the states are accepting e-files today?

What will you guys do tomorrow when your clients walk into your office? Will you take out that paper form and start doing the return?

If by now you did not see the writing on the wall screaming at you and made alternative arrangements to prepare a professional tax return for your clients, in my humble opinion you have failed your clients!