ATX Community

Unable to Install TRX 2012

scottpdann

I have a small, on the side, practice and usually wait until early February to install my software, and to avoid a lot of the BS involved with IRS and TRX finalizing their seasonal issues.

I realize I am saving a lot of money by using this product, and I understand that I have to deal with a reasonable amount of problems getting set up. It's part of the cost savings to me. Every year, I need there help in installation. I am pretty technically adept, so that always has frustrated me. But, again, I live with it because of the savings.

This year, they have been unable to resolve the issue. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions on how to fix it.

When I start the program, I get the following message:

"It seems that internet connectivity is not available, please check your internet connection and try again".

As I am posting via the internet, and am able screenshare with them via the internet, that is obviously not true. It prevents me from being able to register the software and I get another error message when I click the "Verify now" button:

"Technical Error Occurs. n Sorry! for inconvenience."

We have tried poking holes in firewalls and turning off firewalls to no avail. They had me contact my ISP, ATT Uverse, to see if they were blocking the program. As I suspected, AT&T does not do this.

So, here I am, unable to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buy a different software package?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott P. Dann

[email protected] 216/464-2225

Scott,

Read the previous posts here in the TRX section and see that all of the regular users of TRX have dropped the TRX software and purchased new software for the following reasons:

Too many errors in the software;

No states working;

No business returns working;

Software calculating on 2011 values;

No confidence is owners of TRX and

No support from TRX;

Not answering phones;

NO replies from emails

etc...

Many have switched to Taxwise, TaxAct, Drake etc..

Scott,

Read the previous posts here in the TRX section and see that all of the regular users of TRX have dropped the TRX software and purchased new software for the following reasons:

Too many errors in the software;

No states working;

No business returns working;

Software calculating on 2011 values;

No confidence is owners of TRX and

No support from TRX;

Not answering phones;

NO replies from emails

etc...

Many have switched to Taxwise, TaxAct, Drake etc..

I have read the other boards. That's why I wait until early February to get going. I am hoping to avoid the switch.

I see by your phone numnber you are somewhere near Cleveland and Lake Erie. I was born and raised near Youngstown, Ohio and can't remember exactly where Beachwood is. Anyway, nice to hear from someone around the home state. My best suggtestion is as you have already heard. If you are successful at getting it installed, there are 30 different updates that will cause more trouble than they fix. I do know they have Ohio State working but I question some of the local taxing authorities. Trust me, it is less pain full to pay for another software program than it is trying to work with TRX. Your call and I wish you the best.

Scott,

The solution to your problem may be simple. In my case, I found that the firewall was preventing the connection to TRX. If you have a firewall installed on your computer, I suggest that you disable it and then attempt to connect via the TRX software. If that works, re-enable the firewall and add a rule to your firewall to allow the connection to/from TRX software.

BTW, like many others, I made the leap from TRX to Taxwise just yesterday. I too enjoyed the cost savings, but the lack of reliability and the poor customer service forced me to go in another direction.

Best of luck!

I have a small, on the side, practice and usually wait until early February to install my software, and to avoid a lot of the BS involved with IRS and TRX finalizing their seasonal issues.

I realize I am saving a lot of money by using this product, and I understand that I have to deal with a reasonable amount of problems getting set up. It's part of the cost savings to me. Every year, I need there help in installation. I am pretty technically adept, so that always has frustrated me. But, again, I live with it because of the savings.

This year, they have been unable to resolve the issue. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions on how to fix it.

When I start the program, I get the following message:

"It seems that internet connectivity is not available, please check your internet connection and try again".

As I am posting via the internet, and am able screenshare with them via the internet, that is obviously not true. It prevents me from being able to register the software and I get another error message when I click the "Verify now" button:

"Technical Error Occurs. n Sorry! for inconvenience."

We have tried poking holes in firewalls and turning off firewalls to no avail. They had me contact my ISP, ATT Uverse, to see if they were blocking the program. As I suspected, AT&T does not do this.

So, here I am, unable to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buy a different software package?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott P. Dann

[email protected] 216/464-2225

I droped TRX. They really did me in this year and cost me big time.

Found a post on this site for One Desk they are offering TRX members a year FREE!!!! I know it sounds to good to be true, but it is. I think their goal is to scoop up all us angry TRX customers and make us theirs.

I started/grew my business by working cheap.

So I have e-filed several returns no problems

I spoke with a Daniel his direct number is 561-900-0401 He down loaded the program and did a screen share with me and showed me how to use the program.

I was sceptical but it is Free so what the heck, they don't even take credit card information.

http://onedesktax.com/

It's rather easy to use.

Scott,

The solution to your problem may be simple. In my case, I found that the firewall was preventing the connection to TRX. If you have a firewall installed on your computer, I suggest that you disable it and then attempt to connect via the TRX software. If that works, re-enable the firewall and add a rule to your firewall to allow the connection to/from TRX software.

BTW, like many others, I made the leap from TRX to Taxwise just yesterday. I too enjoyed the cost savings, but the lack of reliability and the poor customer service forced me to go in another direction.

Best of luck!

We tried all of the firewall stuff to no avail.

I see by your phone numnber you are somewhere near Cleveland and Lake Erie. I was born and raised near Youngstown, Ohio and can't remember exactly where Beachwood is. Anyway, nice to hear from someone around the home state. My best suggtestion is as you have already heard. If you are successful at getting it installed, there are 30 different updates that will cause more trouble than they fix. I do know they have Ohio State working but I question some of the local taxing authorities. Trust me, it is less pain full to pay for another software program than it is trying to work with TRX. Your call and I wish you the best.

Beachwood is a suburb on the east side of Cleveland.

What software did you go with? I really don't have any extra money to invest.

Beachwood is a suburb on the east side of Cleveland.

What software did you go with? I really don't have any extra money to invest.

I purchased TaxSlayer Pro which is excellent software. Easy to learn, worksheet driven, 100% functional and customizable. Cost me $995.00. I can give you my sales rep's contact information. They have offered various discounts and payment options to help those who were hoo-dooed by TRX. See that I have been here to long as the southern terminology on things just come out. In yankee terms "screwed again"

I gave up. I am going to go with TaxWise throught Main Street and their $350 deal to convert ATX clients. The program sells for $695, so, I am no worse off in total than if I had paid only full price for it. I also filed a claim with my credit card to try to get my money back from TRX. From other forum posts, it sounds like they won't be offering any refunds.

Thank you for all your comments. They were helpful.

You made the corrrect choice Scott.

Leaving TRX will save you from possibly deminishing the profesional reputation you obviously worked so hard to create. BTW Taxwise is a nice program and the price was very good through Main Street Tax Solutions however there are other tax progams that others on this forum have decided to go with this year and they seem to be very good too.

Thankfully we had some good alternative tax programs to choose from when TRX never delivered The tax software they promised (Redgear's TaxWorks)and then so adamantly proclaimed TaxExact would be fully function (Federal, State & Business returns) by the time the IRS started accepting returns in late January 2013.

Also, purchasing anything with a credit card is almost always the right move for me. It adds an additional layer of consumer protection. The credit card companies should be able to easily identify the deception of this purchase.