ATX Community

NT-Internet question Static IP address

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I thought that I would ask if this in case it is easy for someone besides me. My Internet provider called me and said that they are doing to change my business internet static IP address on March 1. Does anyone know if this if I have to change this anywhere besides my wireless router? Will it screw up everything that uses my router or anything else? I am going to be so mad if I have to call someone in to fix everything and my computer if down during tax season. These are things that I don't like to have to deal with very often.

Thank you!

Is there a reason that you have a static IP, such as if you host your own website or access your computers from another location? The static IP is your routers internet address, so if there is something looking for it you will need to let those people know about the change. If no one is accessing it then you don't need to worry about it. Usually, Static IP's cost more than Dynamic IP's so if there is no need to have it, you might consider switching if the cost is important to you.

It could be the provider wants to make all business accounts static. Sometimes they like to use a static IP to make it easier to monitor your activity, such as if you are hosting a site on your own computers, which might not be allowed.

So you may have no choice unless you can drop the business account and go to a personal account.

Tech wise, if they called you to let you know, they should be able to handle the change easily, probably a one or two click setup change in your router, and a router reboot. It should cause you no problems - if you were doing something which made the IP matter for your needs, you would already know it, and how to handle it on your end.

It is Cox that is making it static, because it is a business line. I have two Internet drops into my house so one is personal and one is business. The sad thing is that the business one goes out more than the one upstairs. It is the same with the phone, the business one and voice mail have been out for hours at a time, while my personal (and cheaper) one still works.