ATX Community

Customizing Client Letter

GeorgeM

I have been trying to customize the client letter, and I am having difficulty with it.

I cannot seem to find the options, I want to change the option that allows ATX 2012 tp decide, because it does not work. I efile all my returns, as I suppose everyone does, and I have to go in and change every return to read this. Can this be changed or not?

I have also tried to get the preparer information to be centered on the letter but can not get to do so.

any help will be appreciated.

thank you

I had to have separate federal and state letters with the box checked 'Client letter to display as 'has been efiled.'' I would like to customize to say that the return has been efiled and one copy has been sent to you, rather than a copy is enclosed. Virtually all of my clients have been sent a pdf copy so I don't enclose.

When opening the Federal (or state) letter inside a client, look for "Letter Options"

Click on it and go to item # 3 Other Information

You can change hte letter to "has been efiled" or "will be efiled".

Be sure to save the change.

In version 12.10 on my computer, the change sticks.

I've been printing most of my returns without a problem in this area.

I do not use bank products, so I can't comment on whether they affect this letter change.

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't answer my situation. Even with that changed, the verbiage is "..efiled and a copyis enclosed for your records." I don't enclose a copy for the client records. The client has already received their copy when I sent as a pdf for their review and to print and sign the 8879. In prior years I could edit the text to say " efiled and you have your client copy." or some such. Now no text can be edited.

I really don't want to completely redo all the letters although I have now done that with the local letters that state they have been efiled which, of course, they have not been. I almost wish they didn't have local letters - I used to want them but with editing capability.

My answer this year is to use the client instructions instead of the letter. I wish it would load automatically. I did customize it to ask for the returned 8879 with payment and to say thanks. Every time there is a balance due I have to add a line about sending a check with the payment voucher. So far, no one has mentioned the lack of the letter. I think this the best we can hope for this year.

Well, dang! This program never ceases to amaze me! I have been using it since tax year 1996 or 97 and I never knew about Client Instructions. Alas, it suffers from the same problem. It cannot be edited to delete the part that says "A copy is enclosed for your records." I don't enclose a copy; they already have the pdf.

I am curious, though, about your request to return the 8879. Do you efile before you have the signed copy or do you require payment in advance so receive a check and 8879 together? If so and there is an issue with rejection, how do you manage? Do you also send a fileable voucher when they owe?

This could change my process!

Margaret, I don't efile before I have the signed 8879 and usually payment too. If there is a balance due I mail them payment vouchers and envelopes with the client copy. There is a place to add a line for each return on the client instructions forms list to tell them to mail their check with the appropriate voucher. This saves me lots of phone calls. If you customize the form you can add a little text about reviewing, signing the 8879, paying me too and also check the box for will be efiled. I can't imagine efiling prior to giving the client a chance to review the returns. The biggest mistake I used to make was to allow clients to return to my office to sign. As they sign their check you hear: "just a quick question" and it burns up 20 minutes if you let it.