ATX Community

be very careful with form 8812 and dependants with itin!

gianni1212

I have had two clients with dependant children with itin's return with letters from the irs stating that form 8812 was submitted incomplete. They added four questions at the top of the form and if that yes or no question regarding dependants with itins meeting the presence test are not filled out yes then they will receive that letter. If I had a competent software provider maybe they would have included something in the error check letting the user know that the question needed to be answered then i wouldn't have probably looked bad in front of these clients. Am i alone in thinking that these error checks are why we pay for the program? i would love to sue atx over all the lost business and time i have suffered for using there horrible program.

• Like 1

If you dont mind me asking, what did you tell your clients to fill for 8812? i also received a letter in the mail today. Im confused on what to put because only 2 of my dependents have ITIN and qualify for the tax credit. So would i mark No for the remaining 2 boxes? Originally when i filed i left them blank. Thank you!

I have Tax Act. I also have a lot of clients with kids with ITIN#s. My "review" points out that there is a box to check stating that a child with and ITIN# qualifies for the credit.

The box is on 8812...Part I

You have to check "Yes" for each child with an ITIN#....whether it's only one child or more than that

I have Tax Act. I also have a lot of clients with kids with ITIN#s. My "review" points out that there is a box to check stating that a child with and ITIN# qualifies for the credit.

The box is on 8812...Part I

You have to check "Yes" for each child with an ITIN#....whether it's only one child or more than that

Thats what i did, filled box A and B for my two dependents but left C and D blank. Thats when i got the letter that the form was incomplete. I tried calling IRS and no luck with an answer wait times were to long and was told my automated service to try again another day. I contacted the place where i filed eztaxreturn and they said they had 4 similar cases and once the form was resubmitted via fax or mail, they had no other problems. I guess its a glitch on their end or something when we e-file.

The reason why I asked what software you were using is because ATX is covering our back. I got a return rejected by ATX (not the IRS) because I didn't check it.

After all the trash that has been talked about ATX, I am very happy for this feature and remember this is a very new requirement.

I have had two clients with dependant children with itin's return with letters from the irs stating that form 8812 was submitted incomplete. They added four questions at the top of the form and if that yes or no question regarding dependants with itins meeting the presence test are not filled out yes then they will receive that letter. If I had a competent software provider maybe they would have included something in the error check letting the user know that the question needed to be answered then i wouldn't have probably looked bad in front of these clients. Am i alone in thinking that these error checks are why we pay for the program? i would love to sue atx over all the lost business and time i have suffered for using there horrible program.

Please.. Please... How did you resolved the issue??? I have the same problem, the client thinks I am dumdass. Should I just fax or mail the Form 8812? The client hass 3 dependants, so I left D blank.

I really appreciate your help!

Thats what i did, filled box A and B for my two dependents but left C and D blank. Thats when i got the letter that the form was incomplete. I tried calling IRS and no luck with an answer wait times were to long and was told my automated service to try again another day. I contacted the place where i filed eztaxreturn and they said they had 4 similar cases and once the form was resubmitted via fax or mail, they had no other problems. I guess its a glitch on their end or something when we e-file.

So, after faxing and/or mailing, the problem was resolved? Damn, I am deperate for an answer, lol.

Thank you so much

i faxed and it was resolved...wouldn't worry too much but does not look good for cilents to see the letter because the letter states that there was information missing from return.

How long did it take your clients to get their refund? I prepared their taxes the first days of february. They got the rejection later this 10th. I tried faxing it, but I guess they have much traffic. So I mailed it. I'll try to fax it tommorrow or friday.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...