ATX Community

EIC for Married Daughter - Rejected Return

gfizer

Taxpayers have a daughter who was 23 and a full-time student who resided with the taxpayers in 2012. Daughter married in June of 2012 but she and her husband lived (and continue to live) with the taxpayers for the remainder of the year. Daughter and her husband had very little income and filed a joint return for the sole purpose of receiving a refund of income tax withholding. Daughter did not claim her own exemption on her jointly filed return. I read through the EIC instructions and it appears to me that the taxpayers should be able to claim the EIC for 2012 but when I filed the return it was rejected and the reject explanation said that the child's SSN on Schedule EIC could not be that of a spouse on another accepted return for the same period. I went through the questions on the EITC Assistant on the IRS website and it said that they should be eligible as well. Am I missing something? Should I just paper file the return?

<<<<<<child's SSN on Schedule EIC could not be that of a spouse on another accepted return for the same period.>>>>>>

I could be wrong but it sounds like the SS number has already been used on another return that has been accepted for this year. If this is true, then your only alternative is to paper file.