ATX Community

Another Network Speed Issue

Lee B

Several posters on the ATX board discovered that their network was being slowed down because

not all of the components met 1gigabit standards, some were still 10/100. I copied this post:

Re: Double your Speed (Network only)
Gigabit networks have been the standard for over a decade. You guys should really hire an expert to setup your networks. I assume you don't have the Domino's guy prepare your tax returns.

In summary, to Achieve Gigabit speeds, you need:

-Gigabit Switch;
-Cat 5e or Cat 6 (preferred) ethernet cabling in your office properly connected;
-Gigabit network interface card for the "server" and
-Gigabit network interface card for the workstation(s)

Note: Network interface cards (NIC) are either built into your motherboard or are a card inside your computer. Some are not Gigabit. You can buy a Gigabit network interface card if the one on your motherboard is not Gigabit. They are inexpensive. You need to determine if your motherboard supports a PCI card or a PCI Express Card (preferred).

Several posters on the ATX board discovered that their network was being slowed down because

not all of the components met 1gigabit standards, some were still 10/100. I copied this post:

Re: Double your Speed (Network only)
Gigabit networks have been the standard for over a decade. You guys should really hire an expert to setup your networks. I assume you don't have the Domino's guy prepare your tax returns.

In summary, to Achieve Gigabit speeds, you need:

-Gigabit Switch;

-Cat 5e or Cat 6 (preferred) ethernet cabling in your office properly connected;

-Gigabit network interface card for the "server" and

-Gigabit network interface card for the workstation(s)

Note: Network interface cards (NIC) are either built into your motherboard or are a card inside your computer. Some are not Gigabit. You can buy a Gigabit network interface card if the one on your motherboard is not Gigabit. They are inexpensive. You need to determine if your motherboard supports a PCI card or a PCI Express Card (preferred).

For the record, our network is total Gigabit standard for three years now. Speed of the network talking to each other is NOT the issue. Tell that person to go blow smoke at someone who will actually buy the crap they are spreading.

It will help, but the problems this year, it will be an inperceptible increase in speed. Refer them to me, if you wish. I will arrange the attitude of that uninformed person to reality.

Of course if it goes from ten minutes to open a return to 5 minutes, I guess that is a doubling of speed? Such CRAP they are trying to spread.

It is almost as if the politicians in Washington are teaching them how to respond!!!!

One more reason I REFUSE TO EVEN LOG ON THEIR BOARD!!

Jack:

This may be affecting some folks.

The bottom line is the software was not designed for speed over a network, nor to be used in a peer to peer network, only a server-client enviornment.

Why they will not admit this, or address it, I don't know.

And I spent 12 hours on the phone on Thursday and Friday, to discover this.

It wasn't my system.

Rich