ATX Community

Virtual Memory Error

momof3

Hi All,

Quite often when I ran ATX I received an error bubble on my computer in windows XP( not ATX) stating that my virtual memory was low and that some programs may not be accessible. Things seemed to slow down to a crawl at that point. My BIL, a software engineer, said it is a software ATX problem where the program is eating up too much virtual memory ( vs actual memory)

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks for your help

Let windows manage your virtual memory:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click the System icon.

3. In the System Properties window, click the Performance tab.

4. Under Advanced settings, click Virtual Memory.

5. In the Virtual Memory box, verify that the Let Windows Manage my Virtual Memory Settings check box is selected.

Above steps taken from the following ATX Knowledgebase document:

http://techkb.atxforms.com/TSTKB.nsf/0/31d...09?OpenDocument

Also, you'll want to make sure you have plenty of free hard drive space. If you're running low on hard drive space, Windows can't expand the size of your page file (virtual memory).

If you've got an older computer, you may want to consider adding RAM (actual memory) so that it can be utilized instead of virtual memory. (using virtual memory is much slower)

Hi All,

Quite often when I ran ATX I received an error bubble on my computer in windows XP( not ATX) stating that my virtual memory was low and that some programs may not be accessible. Things seemed to slow down to a crawl at that point. My BIL, a software engineer, said it is a software ATX problem where the program is eating up too much virtual memory ( vs actual memory)

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks for your help

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a problem with a file called ccapp.exe which is a Norton Internet Security file. The fix was to open NIS personal firewall - click configure - click programs tab - in the Manual Program Control Listbox look for the program Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services, and change the Internet Access setting to "Permit All." Click OK and reboot the computer.

If this doesn't cure your problem you need to determine which application is using up the virtual memory. You can use the task manager in Windows and it will show you exactly what each application is using in virtual memory.