ATX Community

Child exemption-bipolar disorder

mircpa

Hello everybody

I have a client whose child was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and currently in state's (OH) custody due to violent attitude, question is can taxpayer claim him as dependent, my understanding is no, since all 12 months state provided the support, correct me if i am wrong, thanks to all who responds

Hello everybody

I have a client whose child was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and currently in state's (OH) custody due to violent attitude, question is can taxpayer claim him as dependent, my understanding is no, since all 12 months state provided the support, correct me if i am wrong, thanks to all who responds

? darwkcab gnihtyreve ees uoy erehw redrosid eht taht sI

regooB

>>since all 12 months state provided the support<<

Please, mircpa, stop being so logical. It's been years now since the support requirement was dropped. I presume that "in state's custody" doesn't mean parental rights were terminated, so all you need is to determine if the child was actually sentenced to long term or semi-permanent incarceration, or is only temporarily out of the home for some medical (or even judicial) purpose?

No, that would be dislexia (sp?)

As for the OP question, I think there may be an exception somewhere, but I am not certain. If the state has custody and severed parental rights, I believe you are correct. But if the parents still have custody, and the hospital stay is required medically, they may still be able to keep the deduction.

Is everything for the child paid by the state?

Tom

Lodi, CA