ATX Community

Penalty for Late Filing Gift Tax Return

Gail in Virginia

Does anyone know off hand how penalties for late filing of gift tax returns are calculated? I had a client this year whose husband died in 2011. She inherited a house from him, which she promptly gave to her son. However, no one thought to mention that to us until she had a question this year about the interest deduction. I have advised her that she needs to file the return, even if it is late, and I have prepared the return. But she has asked how much the penalty will be for filing it a year late, and I have never had that situation and don't know.

No tax is due, since this is well under her unified credit amount, but some penalties are not related to percentage of tax due. Any body know?

>>some penalties are not related to percentage of tax due<<

This one is. According to Instructions for Form 709, penalties are assessed under Section 6651. That's the same as Form 1040, so it's 5% per month (25% max) of tax due, in addition to late payment penalties and interest if any. Unfortunately there is a $135 minimum after 60 days, unless due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect.

• Like 1