ATX Community

NJ part year help please

joanmcq

I've got an NJ part year resident. So I prepare both the resident and nonresident returns, and efile both. The resident came back rejected because "NJ individual efile is already accepted or pending acceptance. We have discarded the efile....if you are certain we do not already have the efile please contact customer service"

NJ has this whacked two return requirement. WTF? Can only one be efiled?

I filed one that need 2 returns...no problem. Both were accepted. I filed within minutes of each other. But, I don't use ATX. It might be an ATX issue...not a NJ issue.

Just because someone is a NJ part-year it doesn't mean 2 returns have to be filed. It depends on where they worked and where they lived while working there.

I get those...someone lives in NY and works in NJ. But then moves to NJ...and works in NY.

It is possible that a taxpayer would be required to file both, just as Joan says. I don't remember the specifics related to her client, but here is a link that describes when both types of returns are required: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit26.shtml

I'm sorry, Joan, I don't have an answer to the efiling question.

That would be a Part Year and Nonresident not Resident and part year.

That would be a Part Year and Nonresident not Resident and part year.

I don't see where I, or anyone else, said exactly that ^.

To be very specific then, I'll state it as this: NJ does not have a separate form for part-year residents. The resident form is used to report the NJ sourced income for the period of residency, and the nonresident return is needed to report the sale of the house that occurred after the taxpayer left NJ and moved to CA. I think the link that I provided made that clear.

So when Joan wrote "...so I prepare both the resident and nonresident returns..." and because she had another post about this same taxpayer where she indicated that she'd read about the proper use of the resident form in this regard, I believe Joan to be capable of completing the resident form for the period of part-year NJ residency accurately and with the proration of credits, exclusions, exemptions and deductions.

I had one this year.

He Lived in AL and had W-2 earnings from there, had gambling winnings in MS, then transferred to PA and had w-2 from there but lived in NJ

He went to Jackson Hewitt but they couldn't figure out how to do the return, so he found me on the internet.

I think this one would just need a NJ (res) return for the months he lived there. The Resident return includes part year. And he didn't have any NJ income as a non-resident.

NJ gets really confusing. I have to make flow charts and diagrams whenever I get one.

I think this one would just need a NJ (res) return for the months he lived there. The Resident return includes part year. And he didn't have any NJ income as a non-resident.

NJ gets really confusing. I have to make flow charts and diagrams whenever I get one.

He need a NJ and AL part year, PA Nonresident and MS nonresident

To be very specific then, I'll state it as this: NJ does not have a separate form for part-year residents. The resident form is used to report the NJ sourced income for the period of residency, and the nonresident return is needed to report the sale of the house that occurred after the taxpayer left NJ and moved to CA. I think the link that I provided made that clear.

So when Joan wrote "...so I prepare both the resident and nonresident returns..." and because she had another post about this same taxpayer where she indicated that she'd read about the proper use of the resident form in this regard, I believe Joan to be capable of completing the resident form for the period of part-year NJ residency accurately and with the proration of credits, exclusions, exemptions and deductions.

Please!!! I did not mean to imply that Joan wasn’t capable. Let’s not as my husband like to say

be so cereal.

“I've got an NJ part year resident. So I prepare both the resident and nonresident returns, and both.”