ATX Community

50% Limit on Contributions

GeneInAlabama

I have a new client that for 2011 had high contributions but did not have enough other expenses to itemize and it looks like it will be the same again this year. I don't recall having this situation before. I know that if he itemizes, he is limited to 50% of his AGI but what if he doesn't itemize? Does he lose all of it? And if part of it can be carried forward, how do we do it and how much? It doesn't seem right, but then I know there is a lot about taxes that isn't right.

It will carry forward, but the question is whether he will ever have enough taxable income and other itemizations to ever be able to use it. I sometimes see this with older taxpayers who are retired and it never gets used. For a few years I fill out the A because sometimes it will help them out on WI taxes (which allow very few things other than charity to be itemized).

Thanks Marilyn and KC. This client is self employed and had a large profit in 2010 and a loss in 2011. In rechecking the return, I saw that we can file an amended return and force itemized deductions and he still won't owe any tax and he can carry the charitable deduction forward. Also, the former preparer didn't figure the NOL which we can carry back. I also saw that he listed $39,000 of wages (payroll taxes were paid and W2 issued) as contract labor and he showed $44,000 as misc expenses. Gross income was $292,000. He also had $36,000 depreciation listed on the sch C but I don't have a list of assets. I hope I can get that from the previous preparer. Looks like I'll have a lifetime client once I get this streightened out.

>>what if he doesn't itemize? Does he lose all of it?<<

According to Reg. Section 1.170A-10(a)(2), Charitable contributions carryovers of individuals, "The carryover provisions apply with respect to contributions made during a taxable year in excess of the applicable percentage limitation even though the taxpayer elects under section 144 to take the standard deduction in that year instead of itemizing the deduction allowable in computing taxable income for that year." They even give some examples of the math, but it's what you would expect--just reduce the carryover by the amount that would have been deducted on Schedule A each year.

• Like 1