ATX Community

W-2 Error by Employer

income taxes

I s it legal for employer to take ss and mdcr out of employees federal withholdinghe had for 2007??

It seems to me the employer is only correcting what should have happened in the first place. There should have been 7.65% tax withheld for ss & medicare and the employee's net pay would have been less. The only choice now is to take it out of the fed wtg or have the employee pay back the overpayment. So taking it out of wtg is probably the lesser of 2 evils, although it may leave the employee in a bad spot if there is now not enough wtg and they have to pay in at the end of the year.

It seems to me the employer is only correcting what should have happened in the first place. There should have been 7.65% tax withheld for ss & medicare and the employee's net pay would have been less. The only choice now is to take it out of the fed wtg or have the employee pay back the overpayment. So taking it out of wtg is probably the lesser of 2 evils, although it may leave the employee in a bad spot if there is now not enough wtg and they have to pay in at the end of the year.

I thought that when the employer forgot to withhold the social security and medicare he, the employer, became responsible for both parts of both taxes.

Hello KU--Please let me know where I can find any info on this statement. thank you and how the h--- did K St. beat you?

When the IRS determines that an independent contractor was misclassified and changes their classificaion to employee, they charge the employer with ALL the taxes. Could not find a case or cite. K State played a H--- of a game. Are you a badgers fan?

It would help is you gave us some idea of the amounts involved. If the amount is not that large, he'd be wise to just accept that W-2, since after all, he should have had it deducted. So he has not been cheated, he just got a larger check than he should have gotten. While the code does say that the employer is responsible to pay in the taxes, whether he withheld them or not, it also requires him to 'gross-up' the wages to include the amounts paid in for the employee that were not withheld. So he would be owing tax on more. And it's not worth losing a job over, in most cases.

When the IRS determines that an independent contractor was misclassified and changes their classificaion to employee, they charge the employer with ALL the taxes. Could not find a case or cite. K State played a H--- of a game. Are you a badgers fan?

He is a W-2 employee and always has been. The owners wife is the bookeeper and she screwed up. They don't want to issue a W-2C which makes no sense to me. They want to take the money out of his Federal withholding and he will now have to pay in for 2007. Any thoughts???

Big Badger fan. Let's meet in the NCAA finals for the title

Joan in Wi

Joan, some of this doesn't make sense. How has she been reporting his earnings on her 941's. She should have already paid in his social security and medicare tax on the returns and also his federal withholding tax. What should happen is the employer needs to gross up his salary for the FICA already paid in. How can she reduce his FWT if she has already paid his FICA???

Maribeth