ATX Community

Issues with slow acks and a rejected extension

joanmcq

My acks from 4/15 were trickling in, but I had none from 4/15 when I went on vacation 4/17. When I got back Monday night, I saw an extension for a new client had rejected due to my omitting a space between the two parts of the last name. Urgh! The delay in ACKs was the IRS's fault, but I got back too late to fix it within the 5 day time frame. I printed out the ACK history and sent it in with a paper extension and an explaination. The ACK history shows it as rejected and ack'ed on the 15th though. Anyone have any other ideas on how I can fix it? He owes a bunch.

Guest Taxed

Was most of the balance due sent with the extension? I think you are on the right course with a paper filing and explanation. I would appeal any penalties. 4/15 and 4/16 I was tracking those ACKs like crazy for the precise reason. This year was more stressful towards the end than last year.

Who slaves away on the 17th? I booked far in advance of knowing the IRS would get overwhelmed with ACKs on the 15!!

Actually my office does. We take off at noon on the 15th and return at 8 am on the 17th to work on quarterly payroll and sales tax reports. Our "season" does not end until those filings are complete. So yeah, while you are off basking in the sun in some exotic place, some of us are still "slaving away" albeit with shorter days. Hope you had a GREAT time!

• Like 1

My "vacation" after tax season was that I took time to go to the dentist and the eye doctor. We too are working on quarterly payroll filings and catching up on our paperwork. We also do a few 990's for calendar year organizations that will be due by May 15. As Roseanne Rosannadanna (sp?) used to say, "It's always something..."

>>The delay in ACKs was the IRS's fault<<

The IRS had a tough time this year, so I wouldn't play the blame game. For one thing, you don't even know if IRS will assess a penalty for late filing. If they do, you can request abatement for reasonable cause, since a minor typo should not negate a good faith attempt to comply. It would be a stronger argument if an estimated payment was mailed on the 15th, but I wouldn't worry about it.