ATX Community

TRX Gone!

Guest Taxed

Guest Taxed

trxsoftware.com and taxexact.com are no longer functional. I think the doors to this company are shut down for good.

Someone from TN may want to check with the state business license board?

For those of you still waiting for your refund, it looks rather grim!

I am sure we will see the same players popup next season with anew name and new location.

Can't say I'm surprised.

But that leaves even bigger questions about the TaxWorks software we used the last couple of years. If we ever change computers, how do we get updates? I never got any CDs other than the original install disks. With both TaxWorks and TRX gone, can we e-file prior years or ever install on another computer?

Guest Taxed

I believe the updates are handled by Redgear servers and as of right now you can download updates for 2009,2010, 2011. I just tried it today. The problem is going to be once they shutdown any update service or take down their servers.

I think the prudent thing to do right now is to update all your prior year Taxworks software and use a good backup system to make a mirror image of the Taxprep directory including all sub directories and files below that.

On the new computer use the original CD and install the software exactly how you did it originally. Keep the same drive and directories etc. Same OS. Run it once. Of course it will be outdated.

Then restore that mirror image. Initially you will have difficulty running the software because it will give you registry errors. Don't panic that problem can be taken care of most of the time using a registry editor in the hands of a knowledgable person. There are also untilty programs such a Norton 360 Registry fixit etc. that can help.

This is not 100% bullet proof method but the best you can do under the circumstances. I have tried this with the 2010 version when I got a new laptop and after a few tries I got it working.

The problem will be if your new computer has a different version of Windows than the original. That mirror image will be useless.

Guest Taxed

They are back....

Last week their website was down. I tried a couple of times. Tried calling and no answer??

I wonder how many users would renew with them??

They are back....

Last week their website was down. I tried a couple of times. Tried calling and no answer??

I wonder how many users would renew with them??

Probably no renewals....and I'd be shocked if they stayed in business with the same name.

I'm surprised I didn't read about class action lawsuits.

I had to "reorganize"...and had an excuse to cut back (I keep promising myself to do this every year...I really didn't care about making less because I had a lot less stress)....but lots of people ended up losing money.

Guest Taxed

But I think they stopped giving out any refunds to former clients who were stuck with a non functional 2012 version.

I don't understand why the TN AG's office did not go after them??

That new refund policy applies to new sales only.

Guest Taxed

It is my understanding that Tax Exact is looking for people to rebrand their software under their own name and resell it!

Consider the implication where a new tax preparer picks one of those rebranded packages in 2013/14??

Taxed, I am amazed at how you know so much! Bet you didn't get a refund from TRX either. Here is what I know, I feel for those who didn't get a refund. Some of us were lucky and maybe those same ones didn't become such a PITA and Doug or Karen felt a miniscule of compassion. The truth is, I DON"T KNOW AND I AM DEFINITELY ABLE TO SAY SO! You have writtem(7) responses to this post which were all for the most part, wrong!

Now for the final question, and I must say at the risk of numerous follow-ups, after all the crap you received from TRX why in the %^$# would you want to even consider using them or care if someone else even filed a return. Now, I can answer that one truthfully, I never filed a return nor would I due to all of the crap.

<<<It is my understanding that Tax Exact is looking for people to rebrand their software under their own name and resell it!>>>>

Where do you get this stuff from? I mean really?

<<<That new refund policy applies to new sales only.>>> If you take time to quite posting and read, you will see the refund policy is the same old piece of crap they used in the past.

<<<<But I think they stopped giving out any refunds to former clients who were stuck with a non functional 2012 version.>>> I guess the bulb in your crystal ball is quite dim. I am one of those folks with a non-functional piece of junk software and a former client for the past four years.but low and behold, I got a refund!!

Give it a break already.

Guest Taxed

What's your problem Terry? Did you catch Rabies from Bulldog too?

I am not going to use Tax Exact even if they gave it free! Did you read any post where I said I would use them next year?

Oh BTW I did receive an e-mail from TRX looking for me to renew and it did say they were looking for people to rebrand and sell.

You may have received a refund but many more did NOT. Crank is one of them. TN BBB could not help him!

Tax Exact has a page on their website looking for resellers:

http://www.taxexact.com/TaxReseller.html

I'm very confident that it was their plan all along to have the product repackaged and resold by others to supplement sales. Very common within the industry.

From an internet search, appears Doug and Cathy's home was valued at between $1.2 and $1.3 million.

It's very profitable being a crook.

Call me stupid...but what exactly is a "resller"?

Is this what TRX had been for the programs we got (until this year)?

Yes. Resellers contract with the software company, put their own branding on the software and sell it as their own.

OneDesk is a reseller of OLTPRO.

TRX is a reseller.

Guardian Tax Software used to resell Drake if I recall correctly.

Here is another one:

http://www.protaxpro.com/Products-RP.html

<<<What's your problem Terry? Did you catch Rabies from Bulldog too?>>>

Maybe so. As I will agree wth Tom that you need to read your posts and responses. One cannot know everything as it is impossible but your attempts are somewhat less than irritating. Now, I will give credit where credit it due, some of your posts are good and right on point but they are few and far in between.

This is a professional board and your comments like the one above, and maybe some of mine as well, are unecessary and unprofessional. We all have to rant at some time and it is good there are folks here that we can unload on. But continually beating this dead horse with TRX certainly isn't going gain anything for anyone.

I am sorry and genuinely fell bad that Crank didn't get a refund of some kind and there is no way that I can say or do anything to help him. What I can say is, he hasn't pounded this thing in the ground like you have.

• 3 weeks later...

I made several phone calls and sent several emails trying to get a refund. No answer to any of my attempts. They are ignoring me and probably anyone else trying to get a refund at this point as well. I did get an email from Kathy Hughes today, though, saying "TRX is listening and you have been heard!" Now that is a bunch of hogwash!! Well, I guess they heard me, but they are just not responding, so technically that was a true statement. It's hard to believe that they will send these emails trying to get us to buy their product and act like nothing is wrong. I feel bad for those poor innocent newcomers who are looking to buy software and go to their website believing what they are saying to promote sales. Is there any place to write reviews to maybe help someone avoid the pain and suffering we've all been through?

Guest Taxed

It is moot unless you plan to use the software for 2013?

Any explanation from her why a cash refund is not given to you since they refunded others?