ATX Community

Virginia 8453 and 8879

Gail in Virginia

In the past, Virginia has only had a form 8453 for e-filing. The 8453 had to be signed by the taxpayers and the ERO and retained by the ERO for three years. Now every time I do a return for e-filing, ATX adds a Virignia 8879, in addition to the 8453. Does anyone know why? Do we have to use both? EIther? Does any one know?

In the past, Virginia has only had a form 8453 for e-filing. The 8453 had to be signed by the taxpayers and the ERO and retained by the ERO for three years. Now every time I do a return for e-filing, ATX adds a Virignia 8879, in addition to the 8453. Does anyone know why? Do we have to use both? EIther? Does any one know?

You use one or the other but not both. I have been just discarding the 8453 and keeping the 8879.

• 7 years later...

I know this thread is more than 6 years old, but I just had the same question.  I called the Virginia Department of Taxation and spoke to an agent.  I was told that both forms, VA-8453 and VA-8879, are required.  That certainly doesn't make sense to me, but it does tend to align with the fact that the ATX software includes both forms with the Virginia individual tax return.  I'm in Florida, so I don't do many Virginia returns.  I'll just use both, rather than spend any more time trying to figure out why both are needed.