ATX Community

Anyone familiar with reading a Scientology Parishioner Annual Statement?

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a client whom I'm trying to finish up. The last in the contributions. I have her annual statement that has all the money she gave broke down. It appears that in the first section it lists donations qualifying as tax deductions: Donations made for qualified religious services (solely intangible religious benefits). The amount her is substantial, but when reading the breakdown it appears it's for lectures, ect. also auditing intensive keeps coming up.

The second heading states donations applied to qualified religious services and this amount is even more substantial, and the donation is listed as auditing intensive.

Anybody have a clue what this is and is all of it deductible? (when I say substantial, I mean if I take all of it, it will be about 1/2 of her income)

Thanks,

Deb!

Be very careful with these type of churches. I have a client she was audited because she gave close to 20% of her gross income to a church and it turns out the Church was issuing a letter with the total amount given to them and it included 2 trips to visit them some place down south and hear some sermons etc. The travel cost was disallowed, which amounted to close to $1000.

I always ask them what they get for the donation like trips or other stuff. On TV I saw that PTL preacher selling (they call it a donation) rice and some solar powered gizomos of a donation??

I never had a client who was from the Scientology faith but i got to tell you the document KC posted is really good. Other churches that i have dealt with come nowhere close in detail to this.

I am assuming it is provided to their donors because it says please give to your tax advisor.

If I ever get to do Tom Cruise's tax return I am all set!