ATX Community

Changes to Regulations Affecting Renewing Plans (HRA, FSA, PRA)

grmy2h

By Ric Joyner, CEBS, GBA, RPA, CFCI

On September 13, 2013 the IRS changed the rules with Notice 2013-54 for Premium Reimbursement Arrangements (PRAs), Health Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), and Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs). The IRS in verbal comments, to clarify their position, stated they are stopping the pre-tax (tax-free) purchase of individual health policies by an employee, and employers without group health insurance or self-funded group health plans can essentially no longer have a Health Flexible Spending Account (Health FSA) or Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA).

Because of these new changes our goal is to create an easy to read guide for your review.

http://benefitblog.com/2013/changes-to-regulations-affecting-renewing-plans/#comment-3282

By Ric Joyner, CEBS, GBA, RPA, CFCI

On September 13, 2013 the IRS changed the rules with Notice 2013-54 for Premium Reimbursement Arrangements (PRAs), Health Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), and Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs). The IRS in verbal comments, to clarify their position, stated they are stopping the pre-tax (tax-free) purchase of individual health policies by an employee, and employers without group health insurance or self-funded group health plans can essentially no longer have a Health Flexible Spending Account (Health FSA) or Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA).

Because of these new changes our goal is to create an easy to read guide for your review.

http://benefitblog.com/2013/changes-to-regulations-affecting-renewing-plans/#comment-3282

One more roadblock...

This doesn't seem fair to small businesses, such as myself that don't have access to a group health plan. I have a couple of clients with no employees that are corporations that this will hurt, not to mention my own MERP is apparently useless. I am thinking of killing my corporation so that I can at least, use the self-employed health insurance route. I've been reading various blogs and am not finding much that says anything that will be helpful. This is not a political post, I'm just confused, because I didn't see this coming at all. It will make a huge difference to what I pay in income taxes, especially with the 7.5% to 10% increase in AGI for medical. If anyone knows of anything that will help small business, please PM me or post it here. The company that I know that administers medical plans, etc. is still studying the new law and hasn't come out with any announcements. I am assuming that this will affect all of the farm plans, etc.

Thanks!

That is pretty much how it reads to me, unless it is a group help plan. I may be wrong, but I believe that is what it is saying for individual plans. I hope that I'm misinterpreting it, because I'm hearing as much feedback as I would expect. I have googled it and have gone to various websites, such as BASE, etc. to see their take on the law. All I know is that they keep talking about stand alone plans not being able to be used for individual policies. I'm surprised that there is not more of an uproar, so I hope that I am crazy.