ATX Community

NYC Roadshow attendees, check in please!!

minkcpa

>>> The assignment of one of the computers as "server" (Maybe file host would be a less confusing term) only designates where the shared information will be stored.

So if this so called server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration?

If no, then you have a hybrid system and not a true peer to peer network. Notice the absence of the phrase peer to peer network in ATX installation guide!

No I am not a computer person, I freely admitted that before. But you posted confusing information that one computer is designated as server.

http://www.atxinc.com/education_library/PDF/ATX_2013_Installation.pdf

I think this may be helpful to folks who want to hear from the horses mouth!

You are still attempting to sound like a computer person and failing as miserably as the Obamacare site.

<<<I think this may be helpful to folks who want to hear from the horses mouth!>>>

You do NOT know as much about 2013 program as you would like people to believe. The "horse's mouth" is information put out by the customer service group. The "horse's mouth" gives out different information. Call tech support yourself if you do not believe what I am saying.

Oh, BTW, if you are NOT using ATX for 2013, I would politely ask that you stop commentating on the product that you have not seen, nor intend to use.

You are still attempting to sound like a computer person and failing as miserably as the Obamacare site.

<<<I think this may be helpful to folks who want to hear from the horses mouth!>>>

You do NOT know as much about 2013 program as you would like people to believe. The "horse's mouth" is information put out by the customer service group. The "horse's mouth" gives out different information. Call tech support yourself if you do not believe what I am saying.

Oh, BTW, if you are NOT using ATX for 2013, I would politely ask that you stop commentating on the product that you have not seen, nor intend to use.

Since you claim to know so much more, you still have not answered a fundamental question I asked:

So if this so called server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration?

You should be able to answer it because you know more than the "horses mouth"!

Since you claim to know so much more, you still have not answered a fundamental question I asked:

You should be able to answer it because you know more than the "horses mouth"!

I know that your question is invalid because you are "...not a computer person" and will not accept the statement that I made that "ATX 2013 WILL operate in a "Peer to Peer" situation, and work correctly."

I do have information that makes me more informed and able to make that statement than the huge majority of people on this discussion board. My statements are from a solid base of actual knowledge and experience.

Are you going to use ATX2013?

I know that your question is invalid because you are "...not a computer person" and will not accept the statement that I made that "ATX 2013 WILL operate in a "Peer to Peer" situation, and work correctly."

I do have information that makes me more informed and able to make that statement than the huge majority of people on this discussion board. My statements are from a solid base of actual knowledge and experience.

Are you going to use ATX2013?

Since you claim to know more than anyone else on this board, why don't you answer the question, is it a true Peer to Peer or a hybrid variation? if this so called server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration?

Peer to Peer is a group of computers working individually but all connected with a network. Each computer can work all by itself without any other computer in the network being on. The assignment of one of the computers as "server" (Maybe file host would be a less confusing term) only designates where the shared information will be stored.

A true "server" network has a dedicated computer that is ONLY a server running server software. All computers have to log into the server (domain) before working. The server is the place where all files that are shared between computers are stored, and has security and access protocols on it.

ATX 2013 WILL operate in a "Peer to Peer" situation, and work correctly.

>>> The assignment of one of the computers as "server" (Maybe file host would be a less confusing term) only designates where the shared information will be stored.

If no, then you have a hybrid system and not a true peer to peer network. Notice the absence of the phrase peer to peer network in ATX installation guide!

ATX 2013 "according to video's, atx support and the answers here - defining server vs. peer-to-peer are where my answer (this answer) is based from.

whether a "hybrid" or a server -- if it is where the information and program is stored --- then one computer is the "main computer" and the other computers (work stations) -- "work" of that main computers data and program --- AND NO -- if the server goes down, then the work stations can not do their work.

If a peer-to-peer system then computers can be linked together but each computer "stands alone" and can do the work without relying on another computer.

So your one answer to the question is -- if server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration? IS "NO" as the "work stations" are now dis-connected from their data and/or program. ----- they would need to be set up as a "stand-along system NOT as a server system.

As a side --- that's why "cloud computing" is NOT REALLY NEW - decades ago the "cloud" was simply a "server" or also called a "remote site" where your data or programs might be stored instead of "right on your own hard drive". Now -- it's in the cloud -- which is someone else's servers at a remote site, etc. Just a marketing thing to save data and make money for some. HINT: I'm biased, I like on site data (with an off site backup) that I can protect and almost always have direct access to with my own resources -- electrically, etc. even with internet inference.

• Like 1

>>> So your one answer to the question is -- if server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration? IS "NO" as the "work stations" are now dis-connected from their data and/or program. ----- they would need to be set up as a "stand-along system NOT as a server system.

Thank you Easytax for the answer. I have noted that you do not claim yourself to be an expert as someone else who said, " I do have information that makes me more informed and able to make that statement than the huge majority of people on this discussion board. My statements are from a solid base of actual knowledge and experience."

ATX 2013 "according to video's, atx support and the answers here - defining server vs. peer-to-peer are where my answer (this answer) is based from.

whether a "hybrid" or a server -- if it is where the information and program is stored --- then one computer is the "main computer" and the other computers (work stations) -- "work" of that main computers data and program --- AND NO -- if the server goes down, then the work stations can not do their work.

If a peer-to-peer system then computers can be linked together but each computer "stands alone" and can do the work without relying on another computer.

So your one answer to the question is -- if server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration? IS "NO" as the "work stations" are now dis-connected from their data and/or program. ----- they would need to be set up as a "stand-along system NOT as a server system.

As a side --- that's why "cloud computing" is NOT REALLY NEW - decades ago the "cloud" was simply a "server" or also called a "remote site" where your data or programs might be stored instead of "right on your own hard drive". Now -- it's in the cloud -- which is someone else's servers at a remote site, etc. Just a marketing thing to save data and make money for some. HINT: I'm biased, I like on site data (with an off site backup) that I can protect and almost always have direct access to with my own resources -- electrically, etc. even with internet inference.

Since you claim to know more than anyone else on this board, why don't you answer the question, is it a true Peer to Peer or a hybrid variation? if this so called server or file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer network, will the rest of the users be able to run ATX and process returns without reconfiguration?

Easytax answered correctly.

For the record, the answer to the question about "if the "server" file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer nework, will the rest of the users be able to run the ATX program to process returns without configuration" is the same exact answer as it has been for at least 15 years with ATX or any other "shared data program" on a peer to peer system.

This fact is why I know Taxed is NOT a computer knowledgeable person. Just because you read terms like "peer to peer" and "hybrid" or "server" or "domain server" and read a little about them, does not mean you know actually what they mean or how they work.

I will repeat. ATX 2013 will work properly on a Peer to Peer system. ATX 2013 will work properly on a properly configured and maintained dedicated server system correctly and properly for tax year 2013.

Despite your doubts, I have FIRST HAND knowledge and experience to make these statements.

Now, you have not answered the question of whether you are using ATX for 2013 or not.

Easytax answered correctly.

For the record, the answer to the question about "if the "server" file host fails or is disconnected from the peer to peer nework, will the rest of the users be able to run the ATX program to process returns without configuration" is the same exact answer as it has been for at least 15 years with ATX or any other "shared data program" on a peer to peer system.

This fact is why I know Taxed is NOT a computer knowledgeable person. Just because you read terms like "peer to peer" and "hybrid" or "server" or "domain server" and read a little about them, does not mean you know actually what they mean or how they work.

I will repeat. ATX 2013 will work properly on a Peer to Peer system. ATX 2013 will work properly on a properly configured and maintained dedicated server system correctly and properly for tax year 2013.

Despite your doubts, I have FIRST HAND knowledge and experience to make these statements.

Now, you have not answered the question of whether you are using ATX for 2013 or not.

ATX Users please listen to the horses mouth!
What are the changes to networking?
ATX 2012 used a shared file network setup that did not deliver the performance you needed. For that reason, starting with tax year 2013 software, ATX will use a traditional client/server configuration.Client/server networks use a dedicated server from which individual workstations receive data.
I’ve had a peer-to-peer setup before. Can’t I do that again this year?
No.
Until now, ATX used a Microsoft® Access relational database and a shared file network structure(not peer-to-peer networking).
The potential forcomplications during setup coupled with the inherent limitations in performance and stability were key factors in the decision to move to the traditional client/server model.If you intend to share system data between computers, you must designate one computer as the server.
In order for your network to function properly, you must establish this client-server relationship.
But don’t be deterred...if your server machine meets the server requirements,the installation process will
walk you through the rest.
We have changed the 2013 installation to make it easy for you to specify one of your computers as the server and then to select the server when you install on the workstations.

ATX Users please listen to the horses mouth!
What are the changes to networking?
ATX 2012 used a shared file network setup that did not deliver the performance you needed. For that reason, starting with tax year 2013 software, ATX will use a traditional client/server configuration.Client/server networks use a dedicated server from which individual workstations receive data.
I’ve had a peer-to-peer setup before. Can’t I do that again this year?
No.
Until now, ATX used a Microsoft® Access relational database and a shared file network structure(not peer-to-peer networking).
The potential forcomplications during setup coupled with the inherent limitations in performance and stability were key factors in the decision to move to the traditional client/server model.If you intend to share system data between computers, you must designate one computer as the server.
In order for your network to function properly, you must establish this client-server relationship.
But don’t be deterred...if your server machine meets the server requirements,the installation process will
walk you through the rest.
We have changed the 2013 installation to make it easy for you to specify one of your computers as the server and then to select the server when you install on the workstations.

Believe what you choose. Your experience and research are obviously FAR ABOVE what I have. Are you secretly an ATX employee spying on this board?

For the record again, the information you are distributing is misleading, and only partially accurate.

You are refusing to answer the question about whether you are using ATX 2013 or not?

I DARE YOU to answer my question? CHICKEN?? AFRAID?

Also, quit acting like a computer technician. It only makes you appear silly to those who really do have computer knowledge.

Believe what you choose. Your experience and research are obviously FAR ABOVE what I have. Are you secretly an ATX employee spying on this board?

For the record again, the information you are distributing is misleading, and only partially accurate.

You are refusing to answer the question about whether you are using ATX 2013 or not?

I DARE YOU to answer my question? CHICKEN?? AFRAID?

Also, quit acting like a computer technician. It only makes you appear silly to those who really do have computer knowledge.

No I am NOT an ATX employee. I am just a humble old tax preparer who does not let any man push me around especially when they are wrong and they call someone else incompetent!

As to your question about ATX2013, may be depending on the situation.

ATX 2013 System Requirements_FAQs.pdf

Folks please review this document and it will answer most of your questions regarding Network setup for ATX 2013, and also tell you what is not supported.

I am surprised that the person who claims to have inside information and was a beta tester did not refer other posters to this document which would have answered 99% of the questions that I have seen lately.

This document is also at the official site.

attachicon.gifATX 2013 System Requirements_FAQs.pdf

Folks please review this document and it will answer most of your questions regarding Network setup for ATX 2013, and also tell you what is not supported.

I am surprised that the person who claims to have inside information and was a beta tester did not refer other posters to this document which would have answered 99% of the questions that I have seen lately.

This document is also at the official site.

You should switch to Drake and remove the stress of ATX from your life. You choose to be "wiser than all" on this thread. Changing is your best option.

Stop stirring the pot that you are not going to participate in with confusing posts and information.

Peer to peer will work. It will not be called peer to peer. 2013 is truly a network program. You will designate one of your computers as the server. The program has been totally reconstructed from the inside out from 2012. Built properly this time.

Pay attention and follow the installation instructions EXACTLY.

Be wary of comments about the program from people who do not have accurate information to make them.

Jack, I guess then I need more software based on the requirements. It is saying we need Windows Server 2008 or higher. I just searched my hard drive and not finding anything. I have an e-mail into the tech.

Thanks

Jerry

Jack, I guess then I need more software based on the requirements. It is saying we need Windows Server 2008 or higher. I just searched my hard drive and not finding anything. I have an e-mail into the tech.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,

I sent you an e-mail with my specific recommendations about hardware. I sent it more than two weeks ago. Here is the same information I posted in another thread...

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

The following information is the results of my experience for 2012 and my testing of 2013. I will not go into detailed explanations. You may accept my information or ignore it. I will not spend time trying to convince the die hard "old system works and I won't replace it" group any further than the information I am posting.

My system recommendations:

Operating System - Windows 7 PRO only. No other. Make the move from Win XP, despite any stubbornness you have about not changing. Get over it. It is a dinosaur and will not be supported by Microsoft after spring 2014. Hardware is inexpensive. If your peripherals do not run on WIN 7, replace them. Printers and scanners are cheap. Get over your fondness of the old stuff.

64Bit is nice, but will not give a substantial boost in speed to ATX2013. 64Bit will improve many other programs.

Processor speed of 2.6 or higher will be adequate for ATX 2013.

4GB of RAM is sufficient. Any above that will not give increased performance.

If you are using a dedicated server - Server 2008 64Bit (there are several versions) or newer. If your system will support 64Bit, up to 16GB of RAM in the server.

The recommended list from ATX will probably be useful for ATX2014. Plan your upgrades now so any learning curve for new operating systems can be done before season.

http://www.itdirectdeals.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2008-R2-Standard--64-bit--with-5-CALs-oem-Download_p_331.html

It's a $400 program, but has a lot of valuable features. If you are running several computers, it should be a worthwhile expense.

It is nice to have, but may not be completely necessary. See the last chart in the file I posted. It says you can use Win 7 or higher OR Windows Server 2008 as the operating system of the server. Obviously your server must meet the other requirements in the chart.

Interesting thread.

I actually attended the Road Show in Brooklyn on Friday.

Jack, Kerri says hello.

My specfic question to the assembled employee's of ATX at the Road Show regarding operating a "Peer to Peer" network system was met with a "No".

Meaning, that an ATX user can load as many copies of the software on as many computers as they want, but they will not be able to share a common database/Return Manager/EFile Manager,etc. As was available for years with ATX.

You gotta go with the MS Server2008 and make that one host the common database/Return Manager.

THAT is all I want. I want ALL my ATX clients in ONE place, accessed by ANY of my employee's from any computer in my office, all the time, and without serious time lag or shutdowns.

I could not find out about that at the road show. It is promised, but I have NOT seen this happen yet. Much has been promised, but....

The program ran fine at the Road Show on a stand alone laptop. 2.6Ghz processor, and 8Ghz RAM, 64bit. It took about 12 seconds to open an average 1040/SchA/SchB return, and they had a "Large" return that took about 45 seconds to open. But it was big and ugly.

Learned a couple of new things, and that will make tax season easier.

I purchased the program after I left the road show. The $150 discount was nice, paid for the trip to NYC.

I now have to go buy a new server box, with MS Server and some other things. I need a new computer anyway...

Rich

• Like 3