ATX Community

New FAM/ATX 2013 program problems

verbanik

Anyone else having any problems installing the new software?

All of my FAM data will not convert, some clients work, but about 90% fail when trying to open. It gives an index error with a non negative size error, I think I recall this error from last year when they spent half a day getting it working. Spent 4 hours on the phone with support this morning. They are sending my data files to programming to work it out. So obviously since FAM does not work the return also crashes in ATX 2013. The tech said she thinks one other user is having the same problem.

Well I gave it a try, I called and told my salesperson I would give it 48 hours but thats it. I will request my refund and move on.

I addressed this issue in depth and in detail to Kerri Gibson at ATXsfs. Here is her response: (posted with her permission)

Hi Jack –

Development is working with tech support to troubleshoot customers today that are reporting the issue so we can pinpoint the cause of the issue. We have dedicated resources on this today.

Thanks!

Kerri

Kerri Gibson, CPA

CCH Small Firm Services,

a Wolters Kluwer business

770-857-5058

I am using new last year 3rd gen I5's with 8gig ram for both my server and laptop. These machines are plenty powerful enough to run any software known to man.

I am using the stand alone FAM package. I did not have any problems last but I do remember the index error last year. When the 2012 FAM software was trying to convert the data from the tax software. This firm never used the stand alone package before last year.

The info is in the FAM package they just need to figure out how to convert it to the 2013 software. They called today and said this issue will be included in the Jan upgrade release.

I sure hope they can fix it I have a few clients with over 200 assets and do not want to enter over 200 assets into the new software.

We'll see. I am looking at the demos for Drake right now. I do not know how you could run an accounting practice with how Drake handles assets in their software though. The depreciation entry and reports seem really low level to me.

I addressed this issue in depth and in detail to Kerri Gibson at ATXsfs. Here is her response: (posted with her permission)

Hi Jack –

Development is working with tech support to troubleshoot customers today that are reporting the issue so we can pinpoint the cause of the issue. We have dedicated resources on this today.

Thanks!

Kerri

Kerri Gibson, CPA

CCH Small Firm Services,

a Wolters Kluwer business

770-857-5058

Isn't this an issue that should have been addressed before the software was released? Looks like they are up to their old tricks of pushing out a product and using the paying customers as their guinea pigs.

I agree Jack, but given the piece of crap that 2012 was I can give a pass until The Jan release.

If it is not fixed then I'm out of here or I just bite the bullet and reenter the assets. I really do not want to switch.

Drake does not have a stand alone Depreciation program and I do not want to figure out depreciation est's and sales and other stuff without one.

• 4 weeks later...

Well installed the 13.2 updates and it did fix the problems of the FAM working with 2013 tax. They fixed it by deleting the classification data I set up last year.

I set up classifications to do special reports for property tax stuff, so I guess that is not important, nor the hours I spent setting up the reports.

Now though FAM will not connect to the server from my workstation. The programmer or upper support person spent 5 hours logged onto my server and workstation today and could not fix it. He copied the logs and everything to send to someone.

At least I have the FAM program on the server to work with, I hope it also works in the tax software I will need to check that.

Update-still no Joy on the FAM program working on the workstation. Leonard spent another few hours today. Its weird since FAM uses the same ATX server program on the server that the 2013 tax uses, and tax is working great.

FAM is just not looking at the server for the program.

I guess now its going up to higher yet programmers.