ATX Community

problems connecting to the web server

TaxManCometh

When you first install the software, the default Backup folder will be located on the same drive as the product software. A best practice is to store backup data on separate storage (such as a portable hard drive). While the backup data cannot be modified in raw format, you can use the Restore feature to bring it back into the product.

Backed up returns will be saved with the return name followed by an .atxBackup extension. By default, backup data will be stored in your operating system drive (for many users, this is your C: drive).

To access backed up data directly:

1. Open your operating system drive (such as your C: drive).
  2. Backup data is located in the path where the software was installed, in the backup folder. For stand-alone installations, the default folder is:
    Program DataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX 2012 (or ATX 2013)Backup
    Note: For networks, the default backup folder will be under the network directory where you installed the product.
  3. Access the following folders/files for specific backup data:
    • Returns: Formset folder
    • Companies: Company folder
    • Payers: Payer folder
    • Preparers/EROs: Preparer folder
    • Hourly rates: HourlyRates folder
    • Form rates: A single file in the Backup folder, FormRates.metadata

Be very hesitant before pursuing the course you are considering. Loss of returns and data are very much a possibility if not done correctly. Check your messages.

Even copying those files will NOT assure you will not have data loss or corruption.

Also be wary of recommendations from a person that jumped ship mid season last year and is not using the software this year.

I am experiencing a problem with the 2012 program giving me an error that says "problems connecting to the web server" when I open the program. Has anyone encountered this error, if so, how did you resolve it? It acts as if there is no internet connection but that is not the case.

I have gotten the error, but after further investigation, my internet was disconnected because computer had been in sleep/hibernate and had not yet reconnected.

Be very hesitant before pursuing the course you are considering. Loss of returns and data are very much a possibility if not done correctly. Check your messages.

Even copying those files will NOT assure you will not have data loss or corruption.

Also be wary of recommendations from a person that jumped ship mid season last year and is not using the software this year.

Why don't you share your advice with us? Are you also required by your confidentiality agreement with ATX not to share a suggestion such as "before you uninstall and reinstall, please call customer service and they might be able to help you" or "back up these folders and make sure you update your program after installation before restoring your data".

Why don't you share your advice with us? Are you also required by your confidentiality agreement with ATX not to share a suggestion such as "before you uninstall and reinstall, please call customer service and they might be able to help you" or "back up these folders and make sure you update your program after installation before restoring your data".

NDA that CCH will not release me from. I have posted this fact at least ten times.