ATX Community

LLC CHANGES TO S CORP

WITAXLADY

ok this should be simple.. brain on vacation- really... WI -20, FL +80

so for work comp, need to know new name but for fed EIN , just keep same number when switching from a LLC to a S Corp...

What would new name be? thx D

Maybe this will help? http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Do-You-Need-a-New-EIN

Dee is asking about the NAME not the number. My suggestion would be this:

LLC named XYZ LLC opts to change to a Sub S corp. I would then suggest to client that it change to XYZ Corp. I'd also advise them to send a letter to all their customer list, explaining, briefly, the name change.

Dee is asking about the NAME not the number. My suggestion would be this:

LLC named XYZ LLC opts to change to a Sub S corp. I would then suggest to client that it change to XYZ Corp. I'd also advise them to send a letter to all their customer list, explaining, briefly, the name change.

It cant change to corp(unless that change with the secretary of state.) The LLC vs. Corp is the type of legal entity formed with the state. The rest is just in how it is being taxed. Customers need to know nothing different.

It is XXXXX, LLC being taxed as a corporation that has made an s election.

Where did you get that info? Dee's post said LLC changing to S Corp. If, in fact is IS an LLC taxed as corp now, no need to change anything else, that's purely a tax filing issue. But usually, using LLC in the Name without also including Inc, or Corp, suggests to the world that they are dealing with a partnership or individual. Which is why I always advised clients to send a W-9 to any business with just LLC in the business name.

What would new name be?

Since the EIN is unchanged, I assume the entity is still the same LLC entity under state law (just electing to be taxed as a corporation now). Presumably there would be no reason to change the legal name. It could not, for example, be called ABC, Inc., because it is not actually incorporated. But if they like they could file a new D.B.A. (doing business as) name at the local county building. Then send out the letters KC suggested, and pretty much ignore the legal name.