ATX Community

Direct Deposit 2011 refund

Janitor Bob

I am finally ready to file 2011 return for client who is getting a refund. Will IRS direct deposit prior year refund or only current year refunds? This client is away from home a lot for work and really does not want the refund mailed to her residence. However, I seem to recall that when I filed her 2010 return and requested direct deposit of refund, the IRS sent a letter stating that it had to be mailed because they only direct deposited current year refunds. I had never heard of this policy.

If it needs to be mailed, can I use my address as mailing address on her return so that refund is mailed to me? She would rather I hold it for her than have it sit in a mailbox at an empty house...as sometimes she is away for months at a time.

This client currently has her mail forwarded to me to hold, but I learned from 2010 refund fiasco that refund checks cannot be forwarded....The 2010 refund check was returned to IRS and client had a crazy-difficult time getting it...she finally had it mailed to me that year, so wondering if I should just use my address from the start.

J.B.,

Fill in the direct deposit information as normal The IRS WILL direct deposit the refunds just as in prior years. I have filed 10 2011 returns last season with Direct Deposits.

The same would be true if you mailed the returns with direct deposit information on the forms. Direct Deposit will still work.

You can use your mailing address as well, if you choose.

J.B.,

Fill in the direct deposit information as normal The IRS WILL direct deposit the refunds just as in prior years. I have filed 10 2011 returns last season with Direct Deposits.

The same would be true if you mailed the returns with direct deposit information on the forms. Direct Deposit will still work.

You can use your mailing address as well, if you choose.

This is (good) news to me.

Did you e-file those returns?

Do they direct deposit amended returns? (NYS does)