ATX Community

Importing 2012 returns from old computer to new

RitaB

I changed computers mid-stream last year. Most of my returns are on new computer, but I have about 50 that I'd love to import/restore/not sure which. Has anyone done this with the 2012 program? I've got 200+ already there that I don't want going up in smoke. I can see it happening. I know it SHOULD be possible. That's not what I'm asking. Has anyone done it? Imported returns without killing the ones already there?

Rita, check your messages. I can help. Too complex to explain here.

Jack, thanks for the personal message telling me it's really complex and giving me your email address. Very kind of you to offer to help. I think I'll just create those 2013 returns from scratch. I know nothing will go wrong that way. I'm not as brave as I sound, and my IT guy could never restore the first 60 returns I lost when I downloaded an update last year.

Jack, thanks for the personal message telling me it's really complex and giving me your email address. Very kind of you to offer to help. I think I'll just create the 2013 returns from scratch. I know nothing will go wrong that way. I'm not as brave as I sound, and my IT guy could never restore the first 60 returns I lost when I downloaded an update last year.

I promise that with my help, your IT guy will be able to do what you are asking. How many clients did you have in 2012? Here at the firm, we had 3,013 clients. I will now have a 100% rollover this season by making the necessary changes and taking a few extra steps.

I'm sure you can explain it to him. Honestly the 50 were very easy returns, I'd rather do what I said than pay him to come over here and lose the time on my computer. It's all good. Thanks, again.

And the ratio of returns to preparer is 310:1 here at this firm. And that little gal also does year round bookkeeping like a boss. ;)

• Like 3