ATX Community

e-file multiple states

cathyan

Is there any way to e-file multiple states - Missouri and Ohoi - so that missouri gets the ohio return for the credit paid to other states? Or is it paper file both states? I thought I have done this in the past, but it doesn't seem to want to work this time. THanks! Cathy

Is there any way to e-file multiple states - Missouri and Ohoi - so that missouri gets the ohio return for the credit paid to other states? Or is it paper file both states? I thought I have done this in the past, but it doesn't seem to want to work this time. THanks! Cathy

I have e-filed multiple states, with Wisconsin getting the credit for taxes paid to other states. With multiple states, you can piggyback one state, but the other states have to be State Only. For Wisconsin, to get the credit for tax paid to other states, before 2005 it had to be paper filed, but last year they added a Schedule OS so most of the return could be e-filed (Form W-RA with the attachments to substantiate tax paid to other states needed to be mailed in -- similar to mailing Fed Form 8453 with certain attachments). Sorry I can't help with Ohio specifically.

Bill

Check with the individual states. In the past, for example, AR had to be paper-filed if there were credits taken for taxes to other states, because you had to attach copies of the other state's returns. But this year, AR added a special fax number, where you can fax in the copy of the other state, or states, within two days of efiling the state return, and it's accepted. Some other states have added special forms to take care of the problem.

KC

Check with the individual states. In the past, for example, AR had to be paper-filed if there were credits taken for taxes to other states, because you had to attach copies of the other state's returns. But this year, AR added a special fax number, where you can fax in the copy of the other state, or states, within two days of efiling the state return, and it's accepted. Some other states have added special forms to take care of the problem.

New York went a little further than that. Last year they eliminated the state version of the 8453, instead requiring that all e-files be signed by PIN. With no state 8453 (actually it was an IT-201E), there is no way to send any paper to supplement an e-filed return. So they also eliminated the requirement to send the 'other-state' return if you are claiming an 'other-state' credit. You keep it in your files so that it will be available 'upon request'.

I was able to e-file one T/P's return with multiple states. Granted she used as 1040A and had one employer, the circus. But she had 16 state returns. Some states required a couple of attempts, just because of my ignorance. Three states we finally just paper filed because it was not worth it after the 3rd attempt. Most states she had between $900 and $400 in income for that state.

I would e-file everything, correct what needs to be corrected, and if necessary paper file whatever is left.

Peggy, that's what I decided to do, especially today being the last day of the month. They're filed, and if further info is needed, it will be sent in, but it should stop late filing penalties. Thanks to everyone for your help. This will end up being a better board than the "other one"!

I was able to e-file one T/P's return with multiple states. Granted she used as 1040A and had one employer, the circus. But she had 16 state returns. Some states required a couple of attempts, just because of my ignorance. Three states we finally just paper filed because it was not worth it after the 3rd attempt. Most states she had between $900 and $400 in income for that state.

I would e-file everything, correct what needs to be corrected, and if necessary paper file whatever is left.