ATX Community

CAF # -- New one!

SunTaxMan

I just received a notice from IRS, Ogden, assigning me a CAF #.

Problem is, I already have a CAF #, (for at least 20 years ?) and have been using it on every 8821 and 2848 filed.

Anyone else have this happen?

I am wondering whether to (1) send IRS a letter, explaining the situation and ask for clarification, which often seems complicate things with IRS, (2) begin using the new CAF # and cease using the old one, (3) continue using the old one, ignoring the new one or, (4) use both, alternating (doesn't seem like a sensible idea), and assume both are valid #s.

The notice of new CAF# assigned, refers to Form 8821 and 2848, both of which I have submitted this year, and every year, with the old #s on them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Something similar happened to me -- only with my TCC for transmitting 1099s. Got the number I have been using in 2008 and this year it didn't work. So I called and asked, and they told me that in early Feb I was assigned an entirely new number! That one now works, but (1) no one ever told me (didn't get a letter), and (2) no one knows what happened or why.