ATX Community

Client copy of 8879 signed

Kea

Client e-mailed to say her printer wasn't working and she wants to print 8879 at her job. Says she's can't print anything with an SSN on it. (No idea if that's true however she does work for Dept. of Veterans Affairs.) But I'd like to accommodate her. I can send her a "client copy" of the 8879 with the SSN Xed out.

Is there any requirement that the signed 8879 has to show her SSN? Can I just write it in when I get it back?

Thanks

Kea.....can you xxx out a portion of the SSN or just print the last four digits of the SSN in the space provided on the 8879? While I don't know if that is acceptable by IRS standards, security is obviously a hot topic and safe guarding SSN is prudent. I think it's easily explained should you ever be questioned.

Yes, when I print anything from the client copy tab in ATX all SSN, EINs etc just show up as "XXXXXX."

@ RitaB - I don't think I can do "anything." Regardless of the circumstances, I can't stand on my head! (or, fill in your other favorite impossible task!)

• Like 1