ATX Community

Saw too great new clients today

joanmcq

Ok, time for a happy client thread. First was a pickup and her bill was $100 more than she had paid her last preparer, and I had said that based on last years return I could match it. I explained last year she didn't have the 5 partnership investments that I had to calculate basis and at risk limitations for. They weren't complicated k1s per se, but those two items were. But she was really happy with the bill because the last preparer hadn't asked her about a SEP contribution, and what her max would be. Also talked about how much better a solo 401(k) would work for her. She happily paid the bill and we'll meet again in June to talk about setting up the solo k.

Second new client had monthly meeting with: my first I'll be doing write up work for on a monthly billing basis. He is in the process of buying a convenience store. Brought bank statements, cancelled checks to reconcile with the bank statements so there would be no guessing as to what the expenses were, a copy of one of the point of purchase reports he'll get from the franchise, and used to be a bank auditor so is anal about record keeping. I explained state payroll reporting, 940s & 941s, etc and talked about the possibility of using Xero instead of QB once I have a chance to look closer at Xero.

Big smiley face here. Now back to the remaining extensions.

• Like 7

Joan, I am with you. Yesterday, I had a woman who has a very prestigious equestrian center contact me for tax and accounting services. So cool, because I have horses and do accounting work for several other stables and show barns. I love clients who are in businesses that interest me; I can learn from and they provide year-round work. A+++ :P

• Like 1

New client this year....

Have the same last name as me. That was interesting...

So, as I am looking over the prior year return, I ask for the birthdates of the children.

And one of the dates is 9/17, which is my birthday!

And out of 450 to 500 clients, he is the only one with my birthday, and he shares the last name... Cool.

And, they were happy, and wish they had stopped in years ago...

Rich

• Like 3

I had a discussion with the first client about direct deposit and how I could use the check I just got in payment for her DD. And we chatted about how various banks print out images on the checks and how mine blanks out not only the name, but also the account number.

So what did I do? Ran out to meet a client at Starbucks, and on the way back went to the bank with a handful of checks, and deposited hers before I updated the direct deposit info. Had to email her this morning with egg on my face.

• Like 1