ATX Community

Rejected Extensions

Bart

I have three extensions that have been rejected by agency. The rejection error says Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return. I know for sure that one of them has not filed anything and I suspect that the other two also did not file anything. Should I be worried this might be identity theft? How do I find out if this is identity theft?

I have three extensions that have been rejected by agency. The rejection error says Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return. I know for sure that one of them has not filed anything and I suspect that the other two also did not file anything. Should I be worried this might be identity theft? How do I find out if this is identity theft?

The rejection means that someone else filed an extension. No indication of ID theft here. Contact the clients and find out when they sent/submitted the extensions and record it in their file. Ask them to send you a copy as well.

The quickest way to find out what happened is for the client to call the IRS identity theft unit (the number is on the IRS website). The people there are helpful and will tell them what was filed, and you don't have to wait for a hour or more to talk with a real person.

We had four cases of tax refund identity theft this season (a possible fifth was an extension, but the client may have filed his own). Three were professionals who pay more in estimates than I've ever made in a year and if they overpay just apply it to the first quarter. One was really scary--a MFJ return was filed by the crooks, so both husband and wife were victims. Usually we can suppress the federal efile and go ahead a efile the state, but in at least two cases fake state returns were filed as well (the state has a refundable EITC).

When will the IRS go back to requiring last year's AGI as part of the electronic PIN??? They used to require it. And we know it's already in the system because you need it to access client data in eservices. It is such a simple solution and would stop the thieves in their tracks.