ATX Community

ATX Scan

clay

Has anyone looked into this feature that will be offered by ATX for next year? I know Pro Series is also offering this as an add on.

Using a scanner to bring W-2 and 1099 info directly into the program sounds intriguing.

I realize not every W-2 and 1099 issued by a company will be scannable, and exactly which company formats will be scannable will be one of the deciding factors when you determine whether or not to purchase this feature.

Besides the cost of the program (about $795), you will need a full functioning Adobe program (about $200?) and a dedicated scanner that is Twain compliant.

This adds up to a lot of dollars, but it may be worth the price if we can reduce support staff or otherwise increase productivity.

Dave Letterman asks will it float - I ask will it save us time and reduce data entry errors.

Has anyone looked into this feature that will be offered by ATX for next year? I know Pro Series is also offering this as an add on.

Using a scanner to bring W-2 and 1099 info directly into the program sounds intriguing.

I realize not every W-2 and 1099 issued by a company will be scannable, and exactly which company formats will be scannable will be one of the deciding factors when you determine whether or not to purchase this feature.

Besides the cost of the program (about $795), you will need a full functioning Adobe program (about $200?) and a dedicated scanner that is Twain compliant.

This adds up to a lot of dollars, but it may be worth the price if we can reduce support staff or otherwise increase productivity.

Dave Letterman asks will it float - I ask will it save us time and reduce data entry errors.

Clay. suppose you "invest" about $1,000 on this technique, and also suppose you charge by the hour at a rate of $85, you will have to save about 12 hours of W-2, 1099 input to break even. Do you spend that much time inputting these forms? Moreover, even with this equipment and expense, you will still have to "feed" the forms into the scanner AND as you say, not all forms can be scanned. For those forms, of course, you will still be inputting them as you do now. I don't want to rain on your parade but I personally don't see that this would be a wise business choice.

If you did nothing all day but input W-2 and 1099 info, perhaps then it would be a time saver.

Well, the cost will be a factor that has more to do with the number of returns, clearly. Someone with 100 returns a year will clearly not be able to justify the cost par return, as cost savings, although they might as error reduction, perhaps.

Many of us already have the needed scanner and adobe or other program, but that is a factor for anyone who does not have them, although they can be purchased for less than you might think. It will probably not be something that I buy, because our practice is fewer, larger $$$ complex returns, rather than high volume W-2 and 1099R returns. I'll probably look at it, tho, because I already have the Adobe and the twain-compliant scanner, and less eyestrain could be worth the cost if it works really well.