ATX Community

Form 8829 problem

Catherine

Hi all --

I have a bizarre error showing up on two different returns. Updating the program doesn't fix it.

Form 8829, business use of home. When I enter the depreciation information on the worksheet for Line 41, it properly calculates the current year depreciation. So far so good.

But the number that actually shows up on Line 41 of Form 8829 is _doubled_ the amount on the worksheet??!!

Anyone have any ideas of things I can try? I've tried deleting the form and re-installing it, I've tried deleting all the entries and starting over, and anything I could think of.

I'm stuck unless I override. I'd prefer to not do that.

Help would really be appreciated.

TIA,

Catherine

Hi all --

I have a bizarre error showing up on two different returns. Updating the program doesn't fix it.

Form 8829, business use of home. When I enter the depreciation information on the worksheet for Line 41, it properly calculates the current year depreciation. So far so good.

But the number that actually shows up on Line 41 of Form 8829 is _doubled_ the amount on the worksheet??!!

Anyone have any ideas of things I can try? I've tried deleting the form and re-installing it, I've tried deleting all the entries and starting over, and anything I could think of.

I'm stuck unless I override. I'd prefer to not do that.

Help would really be appreciated.

TIA,

Catherine

Are you sure you have not entered the house in asset entry also?

Are you sure you have not entered the house in asset entry also?

I have actually done it _both_ ways for one return -- and can't get rid of this duplication no matter what. And in the other return, I have no asset entries whatsoever, and just filling out the worksheet doubled the depreciation number. Which is why I suspect a program glitch.

I've also had some other problems with itemized lists adding correctly on the worksheets and then _not_ flowing through to the form or schedule and having to put them in as overrides.

Lots of oddball little quirks and glitches this year. Some I can live with, but I really don't like having to override numbers that should flow from itemized list or worksheet straight to a form or schedule.

Catherine