ATX Community

2006 State refund

Linda Mathey

I cannot find anyplace within ATX where I can indicate that the taxpayer was in AMT in 2006 and got no benefit from the state tax deduction. Therefore, the refund received should not be taxable but ATX is taxing it. I know I can just remove the amount but shouldn't the program be able to detect this and not tax it.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If yes how did you handle or did you just override it?

Thanks for any assistance.

Linda

>>shouldn't the program be able to detect this and not tax it<<

No, I don't even see how it could. You must go back to the 2006 program and recalculate both the regular tax and AMT with the recovery amount added back in. Maybe in this case it's simple enough to do in your head, but you don't want the computer to assume there was no tax benefit for the entire refund without actually running the 2006 numbers again.

>>shouldn't the program be able to detect this and not tax it<<

No, I don't even see how it could. You must go back to the 2006 program and recalculate both the regular tax and AMT with the recovery amount added back in. Maybe in this case it's simple enough to do in your head, but you don't want the computer to assume there was no tax benefit for the entire refund without actually running the 2006 numbers again.

I guess I am giving too much credit to the program. I did re-run the calculation with and without the refund and the tax is the same because of the large AMT. Therefore I guess I will just leave it off the form and hope it does not create a matching problem for the IRS.

• 3 weeks later...