ATX Community

Boundary Line Adjustment

MAMalody

The tax treatment depends on the fact and circumstances.  There are various reasons for an adjustment.  For example Farmer A might have a couple of acres that are cut off from his farm by a river and adjacent to a field owned by Farmer B.  A boundary line adjustment could be used to transfer the land to Farmer B for a price. In that case it would be treated as a sale of land from Farmer A to Farmer B.

My client received the 14,750.  This is beginning to look more like a sale to me. His last e-mail to me seeking clarification stated: "The lot line adjustment was a mutual boundary line with my neighbor of which I sold him about a fourth of an acre last year under what is called a boundary line adjustment decreasing the size of my property but increasing the size of my neighbor's property.  The legal term can also be Boundary Line adjustment."

My client received the 14,750.  This is beginning to look more like a sale to me. His last e-mail to me seeking clarification stated: "The lot line adjustment was a mutual boundary line with my neighbor of which I sold him about a fourth of an acre last year under what is called a boundary line adjustment decreasing the size of my property but increasing the size of my neighbor's property.  The legal term can also be Boundary Line adjustment."

That is a sale, no matter what they called it.  

• Like 1