ATX Community

ITIN application

I have a prospective client who needs ITIN number for his wife and daughter in order to file his tax return but he is nervous about sending the original documents in the mail.

can he take his file din form W7 and supporting documents to local IRS office. Will they certify for him. There is no approved ITIN certifying agent in our area.

thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

I have a prospective client who needs ITIN number for his wife and daughter in order to file his tax return but he is nervous about sending the original documents in the mail.

can he take his file din form W7 and supporting documents to local IRS office. Will they certify for him. There is no approved ITIN certifying agent in our area.

thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

Certifying Agents can only attest that the saw the original passports for tax payers by sending only a copy of the passport. Dependents must send the original passports. No walking service anymore for the IRS so you won't be able to take the passports to the local IRS office. So you have two choices, make good copies of visas and passports and send the originals. Your clients can also take the passports to their embassies or consulates to get an authenticated copy of the passports.

The easiest is to send the passports and if they get lost, request a new one. Losing a document doesn't change your status, which means, let's say that the passport and visa are lost on the mail, you can request another visa and passport without losing any status. I have been in this country for a long time and I have never been asked for my passport or immigration papers on my daily routine. I remember the first time in 1987 when I got a work permit, I had that document with me for two years just to realized that I never used it. So I put it away and now I don't carry anything other than my bank card and driver's license. Tell you client to send those passports and keep copies!!!!!