ATX Community

Health Insurance Coverage - People with ITIN numbers

giogis245

I prepared a return and efile file (which I have to review before efiling) and I was not asked anything about health insurance. So I believe that the fact the you enter an ITIN, the program is smart enough to know that it is exempt.

This person made only about 15K, which would also have another exemption under ACA.

I wonder what will happen when the mother has an ITIN and inside there a dependent with SS number and she make 60K. I wonder if ATX will assumed it is exempt based on the filers ITIN, which would be incorrect.

Terry D is right. You have to select option C and select full year (or months).

I noticed that no matter what YES box you click on the top of 8965 (income or hardship exemption), you get a message that the worksheet cannot displayed because you have selected income hardship. It is just the message that is poorly written but the end result is correct (worksheet should not apply).

Go figure. I have an itin filer with 9K income getting a refund. I entered the W-2 as presented to me (with a different ss#) and I efiled.

I have another person with ITIN who made 12K and it paying about $200. When I entered the W-2 info, I get a red error stating that the social security has to be the same.

BE CAREFUL, you will be able to efile EVEN if you completely ignore ACA. For sure the IRS will reject it or send a letter to the tax payer. So, make sure you go to 1040 line 61 and check mark it or open form 8965.

Hello everyone, 

Individuals who have ITIN number and not a SSN are not required to have health insurance from my understanding, how would we show they are exempt on the report or on ATX?  Please help.  

Thank you.

As long as someone is here legally....they are required to have insurance ....just like everyone else....subject to the same rules as everyone else.

As long as someone is here legally....they are required to have insurance ....just like everyone else....subject to the same rules as everyone else.

It looks like they are exempt, based on interpretation of the law by the National Immigration Law Center.

http://www.nilc.org/itinfaq.html

According to the IRS ACA webinar today, ITIN DO NOT need to have the ACA insurance, etc.  The exemption would be on 8962 and be a Code "C".

Edited by easytax