ATX Community

Some EAs Face Enrollment Deadline

kcjenkins

Washington, D.C. (January 26, 2015)
By Jeff Stimpson

Enrolled Agents with Social Security numbers ending in 7, 8 or 9, as well as those who don’t have a Social Security number, need to renew their continuing education enrollment status with the IRS by January 31 for the 2015-2018 period.

Without renewal, current enrollments expire on March 31. Renewal cycles for other EAs through the rest of 2015 are available here.

To renew, you must have a valid PTIN and complete a minimum of 16 hours of CE each year of your enrollment cycle for a total 72 hours, as well as two hours of ethics or professional conduct during each enrollment year.

(Those who are renewing for the first time must complete two hours of CE for each month of enrollment, including two hours of ethics, or professional conduct each year.)

The non-refundable renewal fee is $30, which applies regardless of enrollment status.

EAs may submit their enrollment renewal application and payment directly online through Pay.gov. They can check on the status of a renewal after 90 days, at (855) 472-5540.

For more, see the IRS EA enrollment page.

• Like 2

Again I can NOT thank you enough.  I was very confused last December when I went to renew and all the verbiage said "4, 5, and 6" were the ending numbers up for renewal; my records said it was time.  I was going to try again this coming Nov/Dec -- except I would not have gotten that far as my status would have lapsed in (gasp!) March!!