ATX Community

Shared Responsibility Payment

Dan

I read in the 8965 instructions that even if your household did not have minimum essential coverage for one or more months you are not to submit the "Shared Responsibility Worksheet" to the IRS.  If you don't claim any exemptions on form 8965 part II my thought is that no form 8965 form would be filed.  Am I correct?

I read in the 8965 instructions that even if your household did not have minimum essential coverage for one or more months you are not to submit the "Shared Responsibility Worksheet" to the IRS.  If you don't claim any exemptions on form 8965 part II my thought is that no form 8965 form would be filed.  Am I correct?

Read closer ---  page 5 of the 8965 instructions - top of page ---- it says USE.   I have seen the "not submit" as to the worksheet but you still need to complete the 8965 form.

2014, use the Shared Responsibility Payment Worksheet

easytax

If you are not claiming one of the exemptions on form 8965 you don't file that form do you?  

It says on the front page of the instructions for form 8965 in the second column under caution,  "Report any payment amount on your tax return but do not submit the Shared Responsibility Payment Worksheet to the IRS."

A flow chart in publication in publication 4012 (ACA-2) these steps starting with second step:  Did the taxpayer receive an exemption from the Marketplace?  If no than it moves you to the next step:  Did the taxpayer qualify for another type of coverage exemption-if not you go to another step:  Calculate taxpayer's Shared Responsibility Payment using Instructions for Form 8965 and indicate as directed on the tax return.  Complete the rest of the tax return following the normal procedures.  This information seams to suggest to me that the 8965 form is not to be filed either if there are no coverage exemptions.  Is this correct?

Edited by Dan

easytax

If you are not claiming one of the exemptions on form 8965 you don't file that form do you?  

It says on the front page of the instructions for form 8965 in the second column under caution,  "Report any payment amount on your tax return but do not submit the Shared Responsibility Payment Worksheet to the IRS."

A flow chart in publication in publication 4012 (ACA-2) these steps starting with second step:  Did the taxpayer receive an exemption from the Marketplace?  If no than it moves you to the next step:  Did the taxpayer qualify for another type of coverage exemption-if not you go to another step:  Calculate taxpayer's Shared Responsibility Payment using Instructions for Form 8965 and indicate as directed on the tax return.  Complete the rest of the tax return following the normal procedures.  This information seams to suggest to me that the 8965 form is not to be filed either if there are no coverage exemptions.  Is this correct?

Dan,

I stand corrected on the 8965 submission.   IF you are not claiming any exemptions, etc. there is no need to file the 8965 -- you would just use the worksheet to figure the penalty, etc. but you do not need to "file" the worksheet.     Sorry, I got hung up on "shared resp. pay worksheet" and TOTALLY went brain dead on the bigger question.

The instructions if read "slowly" (at least slowly by me) does state no need to file 8965 unless exemptions, etc.

Apologies again.

• Like 1