ATX Community

Recover ATX Data From Crashed System

robqx41

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to recover data from ATX 2009 thru 2014 from my hard drive that can be restored and usable on a new computer system?

I pulled the hard drive from my computer running Windows 7 Pro which has a bad motherboard.

Thank You,

Robqx41

What exactly are you trying to restore? Client data files for the returns?  Are you asking for the directory or path of where the backup files are located for those prior years or something much more technical?  Did you not make or keep backups or exports of the returns on external media?

You might be able to get a cable that connects to the hard drive on one end with a USB connection on the other.  Plug it into the new computer and read it like an external hard drive.  I don't know the specific name of the cable.  You'll have to identify the connection of the hard drive that went into the old computer.

Looked back at my records when I bought a cable.  I was guessing at what I needed.  My first one was called Ultra USB to eSATA Adapter (ULT40396).  This was the wrong one for me.  My 2nd guess worked for me.  It was called Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch/5.25 inch Drive with Power Adapter (M501-1220).

You'll have to identify your specific connection.  Hope this helps.

Not only that, but you have to set the jumpers on the old drive so that it is seen as a slave drive.  There are probably online videos to show you how to do that along with how to identify pin 1 so that the cables are attached properly, but if you don't know what you are doing, you should probably hire someone that does.

If you wanted the paths of where the backup files were stored, the ones for 2009-2011 are

C:Program Files(x86)ATX2009Backup

C:Program Files(x86)ATX2010Backup

C:Program Files(x86)ATX2011Backup

In the backup directory, you'll see a couple of folders and then a list of files with client names with the extension .bck .  Those are the backup files created by the ATX program. If you use the program's backup/restore function from within the program, it will allow you to choose a path to point to where the backup files are stored.  Of course, if you are connecting the drive as a slave, obviously "C" will change to another letter depending on how many drives the new machine has already.

I can't tell you about 2012 and forward after the program was revamped.

Good luck.

Rob, if you don't have the skills for it, pay some techie to install the drive in your successor computer, and then back it up. Thumbdrives are pervasive, reliable and cheap now, so buy a thumbdrive for each ATX year (2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014) and label them; have the techie help you determine how big each year's database is, to guide you for buying the right size of thumbdrive. Once the drive is up and running, have the techie copy the ATX database for each year to its respective thumbdrive. Mark each for the date of the backup and put the thumbdrives in a safe place.

Take the computer home from the techie shop and call up ATX tech support to have you reconnect to each year's data.

I didn't know what I was doing.  I paid a techie quite a few hours worth.  I had two HDs set up on raid.  After he couldn't help me, I just decided to opener her up and look at it.  I unhooked the primary drive, started it up and it prompted me to do a check disk, then started up on the secondary drive.  Up and running no problem.  Then I just looked at the primary drive.  Like I said earlier, I guessed at the type of connection I needed, ordered the cable, it didn't work, guessed again, and the 2nd one worked.  Just plugged the cable into the old drive and the USB connection back around to the front of the computer and read it like an external HD.  So even if I hadn't had the two HDs on raid, info on my first drive would not have been lost.  This happened a few years back on my old XP machine.  I had just gotten my new W7 machine at that time.

Our 2014 backups are here. I had to unhide the hidden folders to be able to see the program data file.

C: Program Data, CCH Small Firm Services, ATX 2014 Server, ATX 2014 Backup

I purchased a "hard drive enclosure" when my last computer failed. I was able to insert the hard drive into the enclosure and connect via usb and retrieve the data I needed. Fairly easy.

Edited by grmy2h