ATX Community

Postal Rate Change

TAXBILLY

Replying late ---

The change in rate "structure" was at least partially brought on by new machinery, and doing away with old machinery. The shape test is because rectangular mail can be "faced" by machine - facing is orienting the envelope with right side up, address in front. The flex test is because rigid mail has to be handled manually for the most part to avoid jamming up the modern machinery.

In our specific case:

We mail floppy disks in a #9 envelope. There are two chipboard pieces to protect the disk. Will probably fail the flex test, resulting in the item being classified as a parcel.

We mail CD's in a 6" square chipboard mailer. Not only will the square shape cause a class/rate change, a CD is not going to pass the flex test, so this will also be a "parcel".

Each item we mail will cost us 1.30 for US postage instead of 63 cents.

We thought about going to a larger but rectangular envelope, but until the flex test is actually fleshed out in real use, it is not likely a CD will sneak through as a letter. It has been a bit since I read the specs, but my memory says the piece has to flex something like an inch. There is supposed to be a setup at each post office where a mailer can flex test their own mail if they choose to.

I am STILL looking at what will happen to Netflix and Blockbuster as far as their postage costs. If they can get through as a letter instead of a parcel, then maybe we can too.

Added:

I just revisited the issue. Our items all fall into the "letter" catagory as far as overall dimensions. We "fail" the machinable tests, so we are subject to the .17 nonmachinable surcharge.

For the curious:

Our floppy package, #9 envelope. The piece has to pass the flex test (have no idea if it would). 40 pound tension through a 11" radius curve. More likely we would fail the uniform thickness test, but maybe not.

The CD package meets the basic letter size, but since it is square, fails the aspect ratio test. Would also likely fail the flex test.

If I am following correct,y our 2oz pieces are now 75 cents (.58 plus the .17 nonmachinable fee) and will not be bumped into the parcel catagory.

I currently use BB, former NF customer.

I suspect BB and NF can keep their one ounce rates. A DVD is flexible enough to meet the flex test in my home spun example. I drew a circle with an 11 inch radius. Bending a DVD/CD with my hand, it easily can bend to a smaler radius than 11 inches. I doubt I used 20 pounds of force, let alone the 40 pounds the spec calls for.

Medlin!! Glad to see that you made it to the 'alternative' forum!

I too was wondering about the NetFlix movies I was mailing and wondered if we were due for a rate increase. I just wish that along with the rate increase, they would up the size of the doors on our mailboxes at the post office as it's a bear to get those Netflix movies out of the box. Sometimes I just can't do it and have to go to the windows to get my mail.

As for there being a machine at the post office to check your mail, I don't see one inside or outside, but then our post office is scheduled to be closed within a year and a half. When they do close the post office, I will drive to BB and get my movies as I will then have to drive to the post office that's right next to BB anyways. It's been nice while it lasted though.

>>when the next rate increase comes along<<

At least we can still stand in line at the post office for money orders on the first of every month.

You should NEVER, EVER, EVER, buy Postal money orders. Not only do they cost more than the other Money Orders you can buy, they will not even start trying to track a lost one until after 30 days. You can track a Western Union one in a day, stop it, and get a replacement the same day. Even the 99¢ ones you buy at 7/11 and such stores can be canceled and replaced in just a day or two.