ATX Community

correcting a 1099

Marie

Solutions I have used this year:

For correction, I made a copy of the original filing and renamed as "original" and set aside for posterity. This has the original numbers without efile data.

Going back to original, I corrected whatever needed to corrected and then efiled the return. ATX processed the corrected filing.

For additional 1099s after efiling the first set (clients are great at "forgetting" someone and then calling after the returns were efiled).

Here you create a new client file as if you had not ever sent the first filing.

ATX will not allow you to add people and treat them as corrections to the first filing.

So, after creating new client file and then efiling the new file, the additional 1099s are also efiled.

It's April 1. I thought efiling ended on March 31.

Did I miss something?

I messed with the original before reading ATX correcting instructions. So now I can't efile the corrected original efile. Can I just make a new client file, make the 1099s corrected and hopefully they will coincide somewhere inside the IrS computers?

Marie, yes, that is what I would do.  The IRS system matches up all the 1099s from all sources, and it will see the original and the corrected 1099 are both from that payer. 

It's a problem built into the ATX software, that is all.  Think of it this way, if you'd paper-filed the original incorrect one and then sent the correction also on paper, the IRS would match those up too, no different with the e-filing except that your software has some odd built-in limitation. Strange.